ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Multiprocessing problems

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd SchmidtMultiprocessing problems
by on Mar 29, 2011 at 4:35:53 pm

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (6.1, Build 7601)
Asustek, G73jh
Bios Ver: 08.00.10
Intel Core i7 CPU Q720 @ 1.60Ghz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory 6144MB RAM
DirectX 11

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

Hey all,

Been having this issue lately. I had a pretty intense project using form, cameras, etc. Well due to the length in rendering time and how it has shut down the use of other programs, I rendered my animation out with an alpha, then went back and combined two animations that have been rendered together. One from 3DS Max and one from AE. These are in a comp together. I figured this would help cut down on hogging my RAM and my processor but still things are "chugging" along. When I render I'm getting the message: Multiprocessing is off and Insufficient RAM. I have multiprocessing on and should have enough RAM. This has only been happening lately. I also have opened up my task manager and been monitoring my performance and everything seems fine.

Not sure what's up. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Multiprocessing problems
by on Mar 29, 2011 at 4:44:35 pm

If I'm reading that correctly, it says you only have 6 Gigs of RAM, right?
What are your memory and multiprocessing settings?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Multiprocessing problems
by on Mar 29, 2011 at 4:49:20 pm

[Todd Schmidt] "Memory 6144MB RAM..... Any ideas?"

Yup. A very good idea, in fact: you're extremely light on memory for AE's multiprocessing. I'm not foolin': 6 gigs sounds like a ton, but AE is the ultimate memory hog.

Consider this: at work I have a dual quad-core machine and 8 GB RAM. I don't use multiprocessing because I don't have enough memory to use it effectively. At home, I have a dual quad-core with 24 GB RAM, and multiprocessing works like a charm.

I also follow the recommendations you'll find here:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd SchmidtRe: Multiprocessing problems
by on Mar 29, 2011 at 4:54:27 pm

Thanks for the answers guys. Yeah, it's funny but 6 or 8 gigs use to seem like a lot. I'm getting a Mac in the next month or two...used but I believe the RAM can go up to 32 if I'm correct. Then I just need to invest in Adobe Production Studio for MAC!

I will turn multiprocessing off and read what Dave sent. For now I just have to get by with what I have!

Thanks a ton!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved