ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3100 x 3500 px image for looong pans, camera movement

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James St Clair
3100 x 3500 px image for looong pans, camera movement
on Mar 29, 2011 at 2:44:10 pm

Hi, I'm using a large image app. 3100x3500 px so I can get a long fast camera zoom IN and end up with decent resolution on the end composition. The question is, can I set a crop frame where I can use one of my four camera views ( or some kind of viewer) to show me exactly where the 720 x 480 frame is on this large canvas? (hope that's clear)

Put another way, the camera views I have are showing me either the whole canvas (which is not 720x480) or a view of the canvas. I would like to be able to program the camera movements while seeing where the 720x480 frame is.

thanks
JSC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 3100 x 3500 px image for looong pans, camera movement
on Mar 29, 2011 at 2:53:39 pm

Do you absolutely NEED 3D? Are you putting additional 3D layers in this comp?

If you don't, I'd keep it simple by animating the layer's scale and anchor point, no 3D cameras necessary. AE gets complex enough without adding additional complexity.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James St Clair
on Mar 30, 2011 at 4:35:13 pm

Hi Dave,
thanks for the reply. The project is to take the composition in from Photoshop and move the camera around so it looks like a 3D landscape. That means a 3D camera.... I think, unless I'm missing some functionality I am not aware of.

As happens sometimes, I found some information in a different way - on the Adobe website - which led me to the REGION OF INTEREST funcion, which is exactly what I was looking for. I imported a rectangle 720x480 px, then scaled it to the size I needed for the crop I wanted in the image, drew the "region of interest" in the main preview window to match that rectangle, and that's my viewing window now. When I out put the clip, I'll choose to crop the output to the region of interest, by choosing "Use Region Of Interest" in the Crop section of the Output Module Settings dialog box.
JSC

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 31, 2011 at 2:59:44 pm

[James St Clair] "The project is to take the composition in from Photoshop and move the camera around so it looks like a 3D landscape."

The key to making it look 3D is perspective change. In an aerial shot of a city shot from a helicopter, for example, you would see buildings in the background emerge and disappear behind buildings in the foreground as the helicopter moves.

In order to get the perspective changes that you get from moving a 3D camera around the still made in Photoshop, you need to prepare your Photoshop document as various planes: foreground, middle foreground, middle, middle background, background, etc. You then make these various planes into 3D layers, positioning them in Z-space and scaling as necessary to create a convincing image.

If that's how you're doing it, the situation demands a 3D camera. If you're hoping to achieve perspective change on a single layer, you're wasting your time and you might as well work in 2D.

[James St Clair] "I'll choose to crop the output to the region of interest, by choosing "Use Region Of Interest" in the Crop section of the Output Module Settings dialog box."

That's a dangerous thing to do if you need 720x480 video; you probably won't be able to adjust the region of interest as precisely as necessary.

You can, however, use the region of interest as a reference, then nest your completed 3D comp in a 720x480 comp, leaving it as a 2D layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James St Clair
on Mar 31, 2011 at 3:31:33 pm

"In order to get the perspective changes that you get from moving a 3D camera around the still made in Photoshop, you need to prepare your Photoshop document as various planes: foreground, middle foreground, middle, middle background, background, etc. You then make these various planes into 3D layers, positioning them in Z-space and scaling as necessary to create a convincing image."

That's exactly how I've done it.
thanks
JSC

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Mar 29, 2011 at 3:44:16 pm

Create a 2D solid layer the size and pixel aspect ratio of your final comp. Leave the layer 2D.

Make it a guide layer and change the opacity and transfer mode so you can see through it. Lock the layer so you don't accidentally move it.

Since solid layers are automatically placed in the center of a comp, leave it there.

Use this guide to frame your camera shot.

Once you're done you can drop this comp into a 720x480 comp and it will center where the guide layer is. Since guide layers don't render you won't see it.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 29, 2011 at 5:25:19 pm

Maybe I understand this in the wrong way, but it seems to me you're looking for the final 720x480 framing, where your camera move will end up on the large plate. If that is so, you can just precomp the large plate with a 720x480 solid (semitransparent if that helps) and this will give you the reference you need. Once the animation is done, just turn off that 720x480 solid inside the precomp.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]