ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Importing 5d files into Premier CS3

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Neumann
Importing 5d files into Premier CS3
on Mar 28, 2011 at 9:55:22 pm

I am running Adobe Premiere Pro cs3. I have footage that was shot on a cannon 5d. The footage is 1920 x 1080 24fps. I think the cannon files are H.264 with quicktime wrapper. I can import the file into Premier but the files have to be rendered.

I have tried NeoScene and it will convert the files to .avi but they still need to render once imported into premier.

Is there a way to convert the files so they do not have to be rendered?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Importing 5d files into Premier CS3
on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:25:45 pm

Since this is the After Effects forum, are you posing a Premiere-centered question or an AE-centered question?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:24:42 pm

As far as I know CS5 will do it automatically. I usually import in to Premiere Elements 4 and render and convert to HDV/mpeg-2 ie., Export to Movie and then open in PP 1.5.1 as avi 1440 x 1080i for final edit. The results are excellent. I will go to CS5 in May.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:42:53 pm

Your workflow may be fine for Premiere, but it's pretty dodgy for a workflow including After Effects. The reason: MPEG2 is a lossy codec.

The last thing you want to do is degrade the image quality, and a trip from aH.264 acquisition -- itself a lossy codec -- to MPEG2 to AE and then a render to an NLE won't do image quality any favors.

Furthermore, the OP runs CS3, and AE 8 (aka CS3) has absolute fits working with either H.264 or MPEG2. That was the reason for asking if the OP was asking a Premiere or AE question.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:38:29 am

If you're asking about bringing those files into AE, you can convert to ProRes 422 on a Mac, or purchase Cineform Neoscene for a p.c.

http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]