ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

trouble exporting from After Effects wrong data rate

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jarrod Ryantrouble exporting from After Effects wrong data rate
by on Mar 28, 2011 at 3:29:09 am

Hi,

Having trouble exporting from After Effects... In fcp my sequence is DVC PRO HD 720p50 with a data rate of 7.2 Mb sec for most of the shots, which were filmed on with the P2 format camera.

After exporting a quicktime with current setting from fcp and then working on it in AE, when I bring a shot back from After Effects, exporting it with the same compression DVC PRO 720p50 the data rate drops to 6.9 Mb sec. And the shot looks not quite a sharp?

I've tried exporting with ''none'' compression but ae adds information to the shot. data rate goes to 69Mb sec and the file size goes over 1Gb for 1 shot. And the color changes!

Please help me..

Thanks Jarrod.

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: trouble exporting from After Effects wrong data rate
by on Mar 28, 2011 at 4:11:00 am

You DO NOT export from After Effects. That's basically there for creating quick one-offs for client quicktime, etc. but honestly it's probably slower than the correct method. Ignore it.

You want to add your composition to the render que. From there you'll see all sorts of wonderful settings, and choosing a data rate for DVCProHD shouldn't be one of them.

The render que is one of the most powerful parts of After Effects. Definitely your friend. The export command is anything but.

Return to posts index

Jarrod RyanRe: trouble exporting from After Effects wrong data rate
by on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:07:00 am

Sorry I thats how I export my shots through the render que, But there is no option to change the data rate. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: trouble exporting from After Effects wrong data rate
by on Mar 28, 2011 at 3:57:07 pm

In my experience, DVCPRO doesn't work well as an intermediate codec. I think you'll find that ProRes 422 will serve you well. Don't worry about the data rate. It's plenty for your needs, and the result will be visually lossless.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jarrod RyanRe: trouble exporting from After Effects wrong data rate
by on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:11:59 pm

Hi Joel,

So I need to export the shot from FCP using current settings (dvcpro 720p50)? then render out from AE using pro res 422 codec as a quicktime file? Is this correct or export from fcp using the pro res codec?

thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: trouble exporting from After Effects wrong data rate
by on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:38:46 pm

[Jarrod Ryan] "render out from AE using pro res 422 codec as a quicktime file? Is this correct or export from fcp using the pro res codec?"

Sorry, but those words above more or less simply jibberish.

ProRes 422 is a codec exclusive to Quicktime movies. So whether you export from AE using ProRes 422 or render from the Render Queue using ProRes 422, you're making Quicktime movies in the ProRes 422 codec.

The recommended way to create files is to add a comp to the Render Queue, using the desired Render Settings and output Module Settings. While you're setting things up, you can create your own Render Settings and Output Module settings, select them as the defaults, and add as many comps as you want to the Render Queue as you want. When you hit the Render button, AE batch renders 'em all.

When you export, it's one at a time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: trouble exporting from After Effects wrong data rate
by on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:57:11 pm

The first one.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>