ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rotoscoping 10 minute video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric LagerlofRotoscoping 10 minute video
by on Mar 26, 2011 at 11:41:23 pm

I'm trying to roto a scene where talent comes into frame (and foreground) at various times. With 4 gigs of ram I cannot cache too many frames and the freeze seems to be all or nothing for saving the matte. Another thread suggested you could roto long clips but I didn't understand the answer.

My thought was to Roto and save short segments of the clip but in the documentation It also suggests that you can copy the matte generated by the Roto brush and paste it as a mask. I tried copying the effect and pasting it into a new mask and it didn't work. Any idea of how to do this? Any other suggestions? And currently, I cannot buy anymore RAM.

Return to posts index

George ZenkoRe: Rotoscoping 10 minute video
by on Mar 27, 2011 at 3:40:14 am

I suggest just rotoscoping what ever you want, placing a greenscreen colored solid behind it and rendering that out then chromakeying the rendered footage for whatever else you were going to use it for

Return to posts index

Eric LagerlofRe: Rotoscoping 10 minute video
by on Mar 27, 2011 at 5:04:55 am

The footage is of kids, tables and a couple of boards in front of a white drop-down projector screen that I want to 'project' an image on. (This was a last-minute location change-due-to-rain, kind of thing.) I've already masked the layer so to limit the area which needed to be rotoscoped. There are chartboards, a table and mics in front of the screen that are stable foreground objects, but the kids enter into that frame area between those and the 'background' screen. Both the kids costumes and one of the chartboards are close enough in color to the screen that chroma/luminance keys are impossible.

Actually, the point is how best to manage long roroscope jobs. I'm going to try splitting the layer and using the freeze function over smaller parts of the footage and see if that works.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Rotoscoping 10 minute video
by on Mar 27, 2011 at 9:07:13 am

Have you tried a difference key?
As far as roto goes, all you need to do is to take it one segment at a time. You may need several masks for a character. Roto for as long as you can preview based on your RAM and then move forward... it's pretty straightforward- it's just a lot of roto work... maybe the difference key will work for you.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved