ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cast shadow from ground to wall

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Taylor
Cast shadow from ground to wall
on Mar 25, 2011 at 6:25:00 pm

Need some ideas of how to accomplish this. I have a figure walking toward a wall off camera to the right and I want their shadow to appear on the ground then appear on the wall as they get closer. Of course the shadow on the ground will be at one angle and the shadow on the wall will be 90 degrees off of that one. How can I accomplish this?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Cast shadow from ground to wall
on Mar 25, 2011 at 7:18:28 pm

You could animate the shadow on a 2d layer- like you would see it from above, then apply Free Form and distort that layer in 3d space bending the shadow and positioning the layer to match perspective using the Free Form 3D controls.
Or you can buy Red Giant Warp and use the Shadow in that package- I believe it has the kind of controls you need to bend the shadow on different surfaces.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chris Buttacoli
on Mar 25, 2011 at 7:54:32 pm

Are we talking live action characters, or greenscreened, or totally animated characters in AE? If it's the latter, you would just set up a 3d environment and use lights to cast the shadows realistically.

Return to posts index

David Taylor
on Mar 26, 2011 at 2:07:13 am

Well, for those that may be interested, I just did it old school, with two layers. One angled for the ground and one for the wall. I just matched their moves up by hand, pretty much similar to my diagram. It's not perfect, but it goes fast enough that it's really hard to notice. I was going to add a little bounce to the figure as he moved to simulate walking but hey, it's a cable insertion ad after all! Finished spot below:

Shadow animation in spot

Return to posts index

Chris Buttacoli
on Mar 26, 2011 at 3:57:32 pm

campy, fun = perfect

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]