ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

collapse transformations makes inner mesh warp "global"

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fred Hickler
collapse transformations makes inner mesh warp "global"
on Mar 25, 2011 at 4:33:20 pm

I have the following scenario:

MainComp - has one layer called InnerComp which is a precomp. This precomp is scaled down and moved into the lower right quadrent of MainComp

InnerComp - has one layer which is a vector shape with a mesh warp effect applied to it. This vector layer moves from one point to another so that it "moves through" the mesh creating a dynamically distorted object, as if it is moving through a distortion field, or perhaps under a lens. InnerComp also has other layers that do not have the mesh warp applied to them.

If I collapse transformations on both inner and outer comps (so that the vector shape doesn't look blocky), the mesh repositions itself to be centered on MainComp, rather than centered on InnerComp (remember that InnerComp is scaled and moved so that it is not centered in MainComp). I.E. It appears to become "global" to the project rather than "local" to the comp.

I cannot move the mesh warp to the outer comp because the inner comp has other unmeshed layers that work together with the meshed layer.

So in this scenario, I am given the choice between a blocky looking vector shape with a correctly positioned mesh warp, or a smooth looking vector shape with an incorrectly positioned mesh warp.

What to do???

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: collapse transformations makes inner mesh warp "global"
on Mar 25, 2011 at 5:55:09 pm

Precompose the vector layer with the mesh warp inside the precomp...?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Mar 25, 2011 at 7:06:02 pm

what's jagging it? the mesh warp? or the fact that it is "scaling" your vector? if it's the first, mesh warp has a quality setting. Increasy it to 10, if it's the later... keep increasing the InnerComp's resolution (with upscalling the vector layer accordingly) while decreasing its size on the maincomp relatively. You won't have to collapse it, AE will figure things out.

Return to posts index

Fred Hickler
on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:20:38 pm

what's jagging it? the mesh warp? or the fact that it is "scaling" your vector? if it's the first, mesh warp has a quality setting. Increasy it to 10, if it's the later... keep increasing the InnerComp's resolution (with upscalling the vector layer accordingly) while decreasing its size on the maincomp relatively. You won't have to collapse it, AE will figure things out.

It is the latter. So I guess I can do your second suggestion. It is just a major pain, as the project is actually much more complicated than the scenario I described.

The whole reason I chose to use a vector shape was so that I could scale and warp it at will without it pixellating. That's the whole point of vector shapes.

Why does mesh warp behave that way? If there is a logical reason, then I say they should include a "stay local" switch to the mesh warp effect that will make it not do that.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:35:51 pm

[Fred Hickler] "Why does mesh warp behave that way?"

Mesh Warp is a 2D effect, but you're trying to use in a 3D environment. Odd things ensue.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Fred Hickler
on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:40:20 pm

"Mesh Warp is a 2D effect, but you're trying to use in a 3D environment. Odd things ensue."

Really? Even if none of the 3D switches are turned on?

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:54:30 pm

its because mesh warp is not based on coordinates, it works from the center of your composition, if you could change that effect to something like bezier warp for example, maybe then it would translate better to the change of coordanates collapse applies, I'm not sure though.

But I still think it would be a lot faster to just adjust resolutions, no matter what possible solution would come up.

Return to posts index

Fred Hickler
on Mar 27, 2011 at 12:11:10 am

"its because mesh warp is not based on coordinates, it works from the center of your composition"

However, this is effected by collapsing transformations. When it is off, the mesh stays centered and scaled to the precomp. When it is on, it becomes centered and scaled to the main comp. I find this behavior annoying and think there should be a switch for the user to control whether it happens of not.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]