ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Alone or 3D Additional

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James KozickAfter Effects Alone or 3D Additional
by on Mar 25, 2011 at 4:13:31 pm

Hello,

I will soon be starting a project where I will be asked to create motion graphics similar to the examples listed below. My questions are:

1) Can After Effects alone create the effects shown in the examples shown, or is it necessary to also use 3D software to achieve the effects?

2) And if 3D software is necessary, which 3D software would you advise that would work best with After Effects?

Thanks!

http://www2.worksafebc.com/publications/multimedia/slideshows.asp

Bucked tree pivots, killing faller & Construction Accident Investigation

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: After Effects Alone or 3D Additional
by on Mar 25, 2011 at 4:22:00 pm

Could you provide a more specific link?

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Alone or 3D Additional
by on Mar 25, 2011 at 5:14:46 pm

In that thing I watched, I saw that they reconstructed a tree and they had to build a human being. You're going to need a 3D application for that. Currently, Cinema 4D is a popular choice for use in AE. It comes in a few versions depending on your needs.

[James Kozick] "I will soon be starting a project where I will be asked to create motion graphics... Can After Effects alone create the effects shown in the examples shown?.... which 3D software would you advise that would work best with After Effects?"

That statement and those questions lead me to believe that you haven't really used AE, to say nothing of a 3D application. Unless you're really smart, it's going to be very tough to master two applications like AE & C4D for a project that starts "soon".

You're either biting off more than you can chew, you're committed to doing nothing but learning software -- no work, no sleep, no recreation, etc. -- or you're a card-carrying member of MENSA. Good luck.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: After Effects Alone or 3D Additional
by on Mar 25, 2011 at 7:32:52 pm

The first example uses no 3D whatsoever, the second one has an animated character and fallen tree composited onto a still image.

The character animation could be done in any professional 3D software (presuming you can create and animate the character.

Dave is correct that Cinema4D has some advantages for After Effects integration but if you are skilled in 3D and compositing 3D Studio, Maya, Blender, or any software that can do character animation would work. After Effects may not even have been used to produce these videos.

Return to posts index

James KozickRe: After Effects Alone or 3D Additional
by on Mar 26, 2011 at 12:51:47 am

Would Cinema 4D Prime version be adequate to create the effects in the link discussed above?

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: After Effects Alone or 3D Additional
by on Mar 26, 2011 at 6:34:57 pm

I'm sure any 3D program would be able to create that animation. However it's far from trivial to do so. I'd say 3D programs are much more difficult to use than After Effects. If you haven't used one before you're unlikely to be able to make something like that without spending some time training.

You have have some luck trying Poser, where you can purchase ready made characters and modify/animate them. Poser is essentially made for hobbyists, and stuff done in Poser will tend to have a certain 'look'. (which tend to be looked down upon by 'real' professionals)
However for quite simple stuff like in your example, I think you can get a decent result without needing to learn complex software.
It wouldn't surprise me in fact if that example was done in Poser.

You could also use After Effects if you went for a more 'schematic' and simple animation. It wouldn't be 3D in the same way, but I'm sure you could make something equally effective that still looked good.

--------------
http://www.jonbagge.net
Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

James KozickRe: After Effects Alone or 3D Additional
by on Apr 3, 2011 at 2:50:32 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. It was very helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]