ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

My second character setup for animation in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Giada StrinatiMy second character setup for animation in AE
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 7:43:14 pm

Actually I'm studing expressions in after effects ( a lot of years ago I studied script in Flash... so I didn't start form nothing!).
I worked like generalist with CGI (xsi softimage), so when I decide to try to made my own setup for AE I wanted to do smething similar to a 3d character setup..
So that's the result : )
<iframe src="//" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="">AFTER EFFECTS SET UP FOR ANIMATION</a> from <a href="">Giada ghw Strinati</a> on <a href="">Vimeo</a>.</p>
Any suggestion is good accepted : )

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: My second character setup for animation in AE
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 8:21:13 pm

WOW! Fantastic work. I've been using DuDuf IK tools but your method provides more control.

How are you achieving the bending IK rather than an articulated puppet IK?

Would you share some of your secrets and techniques?

Return to posts index

Jon BaggeRe: My second character setup for animation in AE
by on Mar 26, 2011 at 7:28:06 pm

That looks fantastic, I'd love to know how you set up some of those things. I've used DUIK tools a little bit, and your IK seems similar, but how do set up the body rotations?

Jon Bagge - Editor - London, UK
Avid - FCP - After Effects

Return to posts index

Giada StrinatiRe: My second character setup for animation in AE
by on Mar 26, 2011 at 9:22:34 pm

Hi !
For what concern the IK relations: I start first with some mathematical calculation and formulas (my bother is a mechanical engeneering and he helped me...) but I had a big problem about it... because I didn't know how to solve that problem on a 360°... (it's hard to explain without use the formulas... but it was about sin and cosin and its sins that change form positive to negative and back to postive in relationship with the amplitude of angles.. I'm sorry if somebody cares about it I'll explain better... but right now I don't want to get bored you with mathematical's problem..).. so I looked on internet if somebody had my same problem and how he/she fixed it.. so I found the Duduf's plug-in, I tried it and it works.. so I get a better look at it and I studied how he solved my problem.. and he fix the problem gettin' a "limitated possibilities"... with the "clamp".. and so I used it and it solved all my problems : )
At the end what I did and the duduf's plug in are basically the same thing! Because are based on the same formulas..

About the "clamp", friday, I did a setup for a fish to used it and I tried how could use it.. I will post my new setup soon (of course a fish will have less controls and it's less interesting but I was usefull for some new studies)! : )

About the body rotation it are a system of parentals... is the same of the foot roll.. nothing special : )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved