ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video Droplets in composition to import to Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alp TekyildizVideo Droplets in composition to import to Final Cut Pro
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 6:11:50 pm

Hi everyone

A client had a request I've never had so far and I'm not quite sure if this is possible.

The animation is a title sequence for a TV game show but there's an element that will change at each "episode". 2 videos will play on screen at different times, but these 2 videos (footage from that episode) will change every time.

The client told me he knows that with Motion, you can create some kind of video droplets, which are frames for the video to go in. You can give motion to these frames and when you import the animation to Final Cut Pro, it recognizes the droplets and allows the editor to drop any video clip into the frames. This way the editor can change the content of the video clips without having to go back to Motion.

I don't use Motion and only, so I was wondering if there's a way to do something similar with After Effects. It's not acceptable for the client to have to contact me every week to add different video clips to the title sequence, so I really need to find a solution to this.

Any suggestions ? Plugins are fine too.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Video Droplets in composition to import to Final Cut Pro
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 6:22:24 pm

If I were you, I'd double-check that the client has his story straight by paying a visit to the COW's Motion forum for a more authoritative opinion.

There's this issue of the length of the clips that just doesn't sound right. Off the top of my head, I don't think it's quite as easy as the client might believe.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Video Droplets in composition to import to Final Cut Pro
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 7:33:43 pm

motion can be used to create 'master templates' that can have replaceable 'drop zones'. and the drop zone elements can have animations and effects on them which will be applied to the footage dropped onto the drop zone.

the master templates can be applied from fcp directly, where footage can be dropped onto the drop zones without having to open motion.

you don't have that kind of interactivity between fcp and ae.

motion is pretty easy to learn and you can find a fair amount of info on the web on how to create master templates in motion (that's how i learned how to create the few master templates that i've done). but you will need motion, and apple doesn't sell it by itself anymore, only as part of the fcs...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Alp TekyildizRe: Video Droplets in composition to import to Final Cut Pro
by on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:05:59 am

Thanks for the answers guys. That was quite detailed and just what I needed.

Looks like I'm going to have to find a way to import AE projects into Motion. If you have other solutions, I'm all ears :)

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Video Droplets in composition to import to Final Cut Pro
by on Mar 25, 2011 at 8:32:28 pm

i don't know of any way to import an ae project into motion (not that there isn't away, i just haven't done it).

what i've done when creating master templates is to render out as much as i could from ae, export a couple stills to help line things up, and then recreate whatever couldn't be rendered in motion, mainly the updatable elements.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]