ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

continuously rasterized layers in a precomp still coming up soft

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Rice
continuously rasterized layers in a precomp still coming up soft
on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:25:21 pm

So i have some text layers that i imported from illustrator and they are all in precomps with CR turned on. now when i animate the camera in my master comp and move the camera closer (not increasing zoom)than say -400px things start to get out of focus and have soft edges. i have some really small text and want to get in close but it's a huge pain in the butt to scale because i have everything laid out in the 2d space and i need each word to be in the same place in relation to everything else, if that makes any sense. so is there an easier fix like adjusting the camera settings? im relatively new to after effects (probably 50-75 hours spent working with cameras and 3d layers and similar things), so i don't know how to tweak the camera settings perfectly yet, if you can even do what i need to do. thanks for any help you can offer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: continuously rasterized layers in a precomp still coming up soft
on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:54:31 pm

Do you have the continuously rasterize switch turned on for the precomp too?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on Mar 24, 2011 at 5:36:11 pm

Because you say "out of focus", is "Depth of Field" enabled on the camera? Double-click the camera in the comp layers to see its settings..

---------------------------------------------
8core MacPro, 3.0 GHZ, 10GB RAM, OSX 10.5.8

C4D 11.5
AE CS5
FCP 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Joe Rice
on Mar 24, 2011 at 8:51:23 pm

@Michael if i turn on CR for the precomp it flattens the image and i can no longer see them as a 3d layer through the camera.

and @Jeremy yes DOF is turned on. i guess blurry isn't an accurate description. top half is camera at -800px on the z axis and bottom half is at -100px. now the top has relatively crisp edges while the bottom is all soft.this is a vector image so shouldn't it retain its quality even when the camera is close?

here are my camera settings in case that helps:

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on Mar 24, 2011 at 9:12:02 pm

The top screen doesn't really look perfectly crisp to me.. And the softness looks more like DoF blur than low quality. With DoF enabled and a focus distance of 2666, you can't expect it to be crisp when you are that close to it, unless you have keyframed the focus distance to match the distance between the camera and the word.

So the obvious question, does it look better when you disable DoF, or move the focus distance closer to the word?

C4D 11.5
AE CS5
FCP 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Joe Rice
on Mar 24, 2011 at 9:36:16 pm

So i tried adjusting the focus distance to 100px when the camera is at -100px on the z axis and also tried turning off DOF. as far as i can tell i'm getting the same (more or less) quality. here is what i'm seeing:

any ideas? ps thanks for all your help so far i really appreciate it

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on Mar 24, 2011 at 9:58:51 pm

OK, that definitely looks like low quality / aliasing..

As Michael said earlier, you will need to Collapse Transformations on the comp. If that kills the 3D-ness of the comp, make sure it is a 3D layer, and then make sure any layers inside that comp are also 3D and have collapse transformations checked.

Let me know if you still have problems..

C4D 11.5
AE CS5
FCP 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Joe Rice
on Mar 24, 2011 at 10:21:51 pm

that did it. just had to turn on 3d layers on the individual layers in the precomps and then turn on continuously rasterize for the layers and precomps. thanks for all your help!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Allen
on Mar 24, 2011 at 10:34:32 pm

Cool, glad I could help. Good luck with your future AE projects and I hope you enjoy the learning process!

C4D 11.5
AE CS5
FCP 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Nicole Harding
on Dec 5, 2012 at 2:12:07 pm

I have been working in 2d space within my main comp then started using a camera for a more 3d effect only to find out much further down the line that why my assets were coming up soft was because the continuous rasterisation was not turned on. However if i go back and switch it on it rearranges the assets in comp. (moving images behind other images)
Do i have to start from scratch to rectify this issue of my comp being soft and moving the assets around in 3d space.

Thanx Nicole

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]