ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Artifacts w/ overlapping video layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Klier
Artifacts w/ overlapping video layers
on Mar 24, 2011 at 2:32:25 pm

Looking for some ideas on how to fix these artifacts:

These are two overlapping video layers w/ a mask. The artifacts appear in AE and also when rendered with Media Encoder. Looking at the original footage, both assets are clean. Also, turning off the upper layer removes the artifacts, so it's clearly an artifact of the composition not the footage.

Original footage is from a 5DM2. It's not scaled. It does have some color grading applied to it inside Premiere before linking it to AE.

Hardware accel is turned off in AE. This is Windows 7 w/ nVidia GTS250 and close to latest drivers. I see these artifacts both inside the AE interface, or when watching the rendered file in MediaPlayer.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
Re: Artifacts w/ overlapping video layers
on Mar 24, 2011 at 3:13:30 pm

What version of AE are you running? If it's earlier than CS5, you'll have to convert the footage from H.264 to something that AE can work with.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jan Klier
on Mar 24, 2011 at 3:15:37 pm

Joey - sorry for omitting that fact. This is CS5 w/ latest updates installed.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 24, 2011 at 3:42:44 pm

[Jan Klier] "It does have some color grading applied to it inside Premiere before linking it to AE."

Hmmmm. What happens if you duplicate the Premiere project for safety, get rid of the color grading, and try it again in AE?

And another thought: can't you make simple masks and move things around on the screen directly in Premiere?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jan Klier
on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:39:38 pm

Dave - interesting, that did the trick.

I used CF3 in Premiere for the color grading. I created a copy of the clip w/o CF3 and changed the clip on AE, then applied the CF profile inside AE and the artifacts have gone away.

On your other point: There are many other aspects of this video that require animation only provided by AE. Otherwise, I would totally agree with you to keep it simple and stay in Premiere.

Thanks,
Jan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]