ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Text looks awful after export.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul WhishawText looks awful after export.
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 3:53:38 am

I have an AE file for a clock I use in fight shows. There are two sets of numbers, one in the clock and one indicating the round. The clock numbers I reused from another project. It is a movie file and is not being generated in this file but it was exported originally from AE.

The round indicator is being generated in AE and it looks great in the project. When I export it as an Animation and drop it into FCP it looks like ass. The font style is Impact. What am I missing that would cause this? The clock numbers look great.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii140/Bentleysuper8/clocks.jpg

The top clock is in FCP and looks terrible, the bottom clock is from AE and looks great. What gives? My FCP project is DVC Pro HD 720.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Text looks awful after export.
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 5:36:19 am

How does the output file look if you play it in QuickTime Player or bring it back into After Effects and view it there?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Paul WhishawRe: Text looks awful after export.
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 11:27:59 pm

If I play the file in QT Player it looks fine. So it has something to do with FCP or something. The odd thing is the numbers in the clock look fine but the numbers of the round looks terrible. Very puzzling.

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com
"If it moves, We'll Shoot it"

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Text looks awful after export.
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 2:23:27 pm

In addition to Todd's questions, how are you looking at this in FCP? On your video monitor, or on those little pea-shooter FCP viewers, which can NEVER be trusted to make reliable judgments on the quality of video images?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2011 at 3:52:11 am

I don't have my external monitor hooked up at the moment but since the clock looks fine and the round number is messed up I'm going to guess it's not my monitor. I am viewing on an Apple 27" LED screen.

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com

Return to posts index

by on Mar 28, 2011 at 12:36:33 am

This is driving me crazy!! I've tried every different format and size and the round text always come out looking like crap!! The final project file is DVC Pro HD 720p 30. No size I export as in AE gives me crisp text.

It is sooooo bizarre because the time clock looks great (it's a separate movie) so it is some weird thing happening in FCP and not a monitoring issue. I'm running out of time and can not figure this one out. I've never encountered it before.

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com

Return to posts index

by on Mar 28, 2011 at 1:11:18 am

The round number looks fine in the QT viewer on the desktop and if I re import the clock to AE it looks fine and if I re export the re imported clock it still looks like ass in FCP. I've exported a final clip from FCP and the round number still looks like shit while the clock looks awesome. What if wrong with FCP??? Or ME!?!

I'm going mental?

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Text looks awful after export.
by on Mar 28, 2011 at 1:21:12 am

Since you've isolated the problem to Final Cut Pro, you might want to ask on the FCP forum.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

by on Mar 28, 2011 at 1:35:28 am

Well perhaps I should rephrase my lament. Half the clock looks fine and half the clock looks terrible. Since it's a 50/50 it demonstrates that it is possible to get text to look good in FCP. I am obviously making some critical (and most likely simple) error when exporting from AE. If it were strictly a FCP problem, all the text would look bad.

I know I have to be doing something wrong and it's not all FCP's fault entirely.

Paul Whishaw
PDVpro.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]