ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Matching Perspective Changes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve StricklerMatching Perspective Changes
by on Mar 23, 2011 at 8:14:25 pm

I have a series of shots of a set with windows which were green-screened. I am inserting stills for scenery into the windows. As the camera pans and/or dollies the perspective and motion of the move needs to be reflected in the background plates.

Any tutorials and/or words of wisdom with this? I have the green-screens dealt with already.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Matching Perspective Changes
by on Mar 23, 2011 at 8:40:00 pm

I'd look a mocha ae which ships with after effects CS4 and CS5. Mocha is a planar tracker which take perspective into account.

There are some terrific tutorials on planar tracking at imagineer systems website.

You could start here:

http://www.imagineersystems.com/videos/steve-wright-planar-tracking/view

Return to posts index

Steve StricklerRe: Matching Perspective Changes
by on Mar 23, 2011 at 8:50:31 pm

I have and use Mocha, but am not sure how this would help in this instance. I will post over there too.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Matching Perspective Changes
by on Mar 23, 2011 at 9:40:19 pm

If you want a background plate where the perspective changes you need a camera tracker (I have used the Camera Tracker Plugin from the Foundry in AE and got really good results. I have used Boujou as well, but that's a lot more expensive). Once you have a camera in AE that matches the camera from the shot, you can build a background plate in layers in AE 3D space, setting the layers in z space far enough from each other to get a change of perspective. If you want to get really in depth and have a volumetric plate and not just 2d planes in 3d space, you can use Free Form to displace in 3d using depth maps like in this tutorial, or even Zaxwerks invigorator Pro to create/import a true 3d setup to use in the background.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Matching Perspective Changes
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 2:07:52 am

Good catch Ted, I misunderstood what Steve wanted to achieve.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Matching Perspective Changes
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 5:03:29 am

Whether a planar track (or point tracker with perspectives) solution or a matchmove solution is required depends on the camera movement. I would actually place my bet that Mocha alone will be able to sort this out.

The only issue I see is that we don't even know if markers were put into place during production.

Cheers
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Steve StricklerRe: Matching Perspective Changes
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 12:21:25 pm

Ted,

Got CAMERA TRACKER and BAM! It's exactly what I needed. It's awesome! I should have had that in my toolbox a long time ago.

Mocha is a great tool, but not the one for this complex task.

Thanks for the tip--I am on my way to rendering.

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: Matching Perspective Changes
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 7:49:22 pm

[Tudor "Ted" Jelescu] "Camera Tracker Plugin from the Foundry"

Do you recommend Camera Tracker as opposed to pfHoe?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Matching Perspective Changes
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 9:23:38 pm

Never used pfHoe so I can not say, all I know is that Camera Tracker worked like a charm on some clips where Boujou had trouble producing a decent camera solve.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Jordan SpaldingRe: Matching Perspective Changes
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 7:06:14 am

I've never heard of camera tracker, could you link me to the site? I'm currently running a trial of PFhoe and it seems nice but very limited. Though it does have a good workflow into after effects. Does camera tracker?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]