ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating "data stream" along a stroke?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christoph HeimerAnimating "data stream" along a stroke?
by on Mar 23, 2011 at 7:57:15 pm

Hi there,

what would be the most elegant way of animating a "stream of data" flowing along a linear stroke from obe 3d layer to another?
The Camera must be able to move around it. I can do strokes with 3d stroke or so, but how can I create the particular effect of little packages of data moving along it? Basically, all I want to do is make the stroke transparent with a hard edge every few 50 pixels and then animate that in one direction... you get the idea? I bet everyone has seen this effect dozens of times...

Any ideas?

:)

Return to posts index

Christoph HeimerRe: Animating "data stream" along a stroke?
by on Mar 23, 2011 at 8:16:58 pm

I should add: one of the problems, using a simple stroke and applying a vegas effect on it, is that vegas if in "use image outline" mode will create a stream running AROUND the stroke not just one directional, and if in "use mask" mode, it wont do anything at all actually als long as the mask is not closed, or is at least being closed once. That was actually the only way i found so far, closing the mask, and then opening it again, but that's not an option, since I have too many strokes involved...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Animating "data stream" along a stroke?
by on Mar 23, 2011 at 9:55:45 pm

[Christoph Heimer] "The Camera must be able to move around it. I can do strokes with 3d stroke or so, but how can I create the particular effect of little packages of data moving along it?"

Funny choice of words -- I would actually use Particular to create the data packets.

Create a point light and animate it along the path you'd like the particles to travel. Name it Motion Path 1. Tell Particular to have its particles follow a motion path under Particular > Physics > Air > Motion Path.

You could copy the same motion path onto another light to use as an emitter, if you choose.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Christoph HeimerRe: Animating "data stream" along a stroke?
by on Mar 29, 2011 at 1:35:48 am

haha you're right about the choice of words :D

a very lucky coincidence solved the problem for me, all the data streams i have to animate have to float in both directions.... so i can in fact just use vegas lol,

but thx anyway! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]