ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS4 32bit on 64bit windows7

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher KechichianAE CS4 32bit on 64bit windows7
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 3:39:07 pm

Well i'm really confused here !!
I just upgraded my laptop to 8GB of RAM and there is no difference in After Effects. When it first launches, it writes "2% used of 4GB" but I have installed 8GB and when i go to "My Computer" i can see 8GB !!
I am using AE CS4 and i don't think i'm gonna install the CS5 because all my plugins are 32bit and i'm not gonna pay a fortune to upgrade them to 64.
Anyway i can't know why AE hasn't improved yet, i put multi processing on, i have 4 cores, left 2GB of RAM for other apps and put 2GB min allocation per CPU, and CPU's left for other apps "1".
Is the reason that AE CS4 that i have is 32bit?? or my configuration is wrong ?
Appreciate any help i can get.
Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE CS4 32bit on 64bit windows7
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 4:07:11 pm

Did you do a clean install?
Meaning that you backed up everything on the laptop's hard drive -- twice -- for safety, then uninstalled the software, plugins and OS, and Installed the new OS and reinstalled the software and plugins?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Christopher KechichianRe: AE CS4 32bit on 64bit windows7
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 6:08:27 pm

I didn't really understand your point Dave, do you mean that 32bit plugins work on AE CS5 but I didn't install them the right way ?
Because I already have the CS4 workin properly with all the plugins but my problem is with the RAM. Plus I already tried CS5 before adding the RAM but no plugin worked for me.
I think that Roland is right, since CS4 is 32bit it can only read 4GB of RAM.
Anyway thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: AE CS4 32bit on 64bit windows7
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 5:59:09 pm

I believe that the 32bit application can only 'see' 4GB of RAM.

Cheers
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE CS4 32bit on 64bit windows7
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 6:34:59 pm

[Roland R. Kahlenberg] "I believe that the 32bit application can only 'see' 4GB of RAM."

True! With AE CS5, a single instance of AE could see all the RAM in the system.

AE's multiprocessing sidesteps this limitation by launching multiple instances of the AE renderer at the same time. Each instance works on its own frame and requires its own RAM, but no one process will ever "see" more than 4 GB.

When you consider system overhead, 8 GB of RAM is not a lot to feed four instances of the renderer. Depending on your content, your render times may actually improve by using fewer cores, each with more RAM available, than by using more cores with less RAM.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE CS4 32bit on 64bit windows7
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 6:46:41 pm

[Walter Soyka] "AE's multiprocessing sidesteps this limitation by launching multiple instances of the AE renderer at the same time. Each instance works on its own frame and requires its own RAM, but no one process will ever "see" more than 4 GB. "

I should clarify this -- with AE CS4, which is 32-bit, no process will ever "see" more than 4 GB.

If you upgraded to CS5, which is 64-bit, that limitation goes away for both the main application as well as background renderer instances.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: AE CS4 32bit on 64bit windows7
by on Mar 23, 2011 at 3:24:24 am

There's lots of detail here:
"FAQ: Why doesn't After Effects CS4 see and use all of my RAM?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]