ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

"Phantom sound" in AE CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Snyder
"Phantom sound" in AE CS5
on Mar 22, 2011 at 12:38:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been running into a strange problem in After Effects (CS5) lately. I presume it's a bug but perhaps someone can shed some light on it and save me the extra effort (which really isn't much but nevertheless annoying) involved in combating it.

I have my finished AE project (a 20 second commercial) with the various layers and the final sound mix there on the bottom. Now, when I RAM preview or export, there's a strange echo in the voiceover. I'm certain that the sound mix is pristine, having listened to it in other players, and I'm also certain it's the only active sound track. When I disable that (in other words, there's no active sound tracks), I continue to hear the voiceover. Even if I remove every single layer and render the empty timeline, there's still this mysterious voiceover there.

The only fix has been to pop the whole thing in another composition with the sound deactivated and then throw the sound mix on again.

Any ideas what it could be? I thought maybe some kind of cache weirdness, but the fact that there's sound there even if I remove all layers is quite bizarre. Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: "Phantom sound" in AE CS5
on Mar 22, 2011 at 2:04:31 pm

Do you have any "shy" audio layers maybe that you can not see?

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Adam Snyder
on Mar 22, 2011 at 3:16:03 pm

Nope, even if I get rid of everything, there's still audio there. Perhaps it's a bug in After Effects? I can't imagine what else it could be.

It's not a really big problem but since it's been bothering me for some time now, I thought it was worth checking up on.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 22, 2011 at 3:44:57 pm

Got a fully-updated version of AE 10? The first update, 10.0.1, fixed a lot of audio weirdness. Subsequent updates fixed other weird things.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam Snyder
on Mar 22, 2011 at 4:09:25 pm

I'll see if that does the trick. Thanks for the suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]