ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
francesco glavinaTEAL and ORANGE
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 9:17:24 am

Hi all! I know... Teal and Orange is in everything now... It's a madness. But know is freedom. I would know how give to images this extreme tones, and look "natural". In AE, if I use curves or I shift color, all go wrong. Is a Cinematography work, ever, or there's a secret?
Thanks all...

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: TEAL and ORANGE
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 1:58:51 pm

It's called color grading and it's an art in itself. For the examples you gave there where hours and hours of hard work and immense computing power in systems like Davinci, plus the eye of a highly trained colorist.
However, Colorista from Red Giant can achieve pretty good results (as can Synthetic Apreture, but I'm a Colorista user/fan). Here's a link to some tutorials that can help:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: TEAL and ORANGE
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 2:24:17 pm

Here's a tutorial specific to the teal and orange look:
The concepts are the same no matter what color grading tool you're using. If you don't have Colorista, you could use Synthetic Aperture's Color Finesse which comes free with AE. It's an excellent tool for color correction and color grading.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: TEAL and ORANGE
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 6:54:09 pm

Check out Magic Bullet Mojo [link], which creates this look quickly with just a few sliders.

You sacrifice a lot of the control that you'd have with a full color grading system, so I wouldn't consider this a tool for nuance and expressiveness. If nuance isn't necessary, this could save you a lot of time.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

francesco glavinaRe: TEAL and ORANGE
by on Mar 23, 2011 at 9:03:18 am

Thanks all. I tryed the tutorials suggested, but they look so "unprofessional"in the results,(and I know that it is time consuming...)I use Color Finesse and colorista too. I prefer After effects because I could make choices about how deep work in bit and How many effects to use and where. Is nice to use Magic Bullet or 3way in a video, but I Can't achieve the control that I have with AE.
I post 2 examples...
and this is the original:
Ok, the same shoot,It's not teal and orange but blue and skin. (I do it because the background of this factory was terrible. In blue all look better). I worked with AE, and I made masks for skin with key effect. What go wrong is, as you see, where the face is in the shadows. If I give it more tollerance I take background elements that are far from skin tones...
So, there's other instruments I Can use? Channels, Shadow/Medium/Highlights...
Thanks again for the fast response.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: TEAL and ORANGE
by on Mar 23, 2011 at 6:50:22 pm

I did a quick test- you find the project link below. I used the file you posted and Colorista. I spent quite a few nights with a colorist working on grading and stealing the tips of her trade. One thing I learned is to go for a look and disregard things like "the skin tones need to look realistic". Color grading pushes the natural look into a artistic convention... I think the problem with your test was that you did not push the skintones more and you flattened the background in one color instead of tinting it and providing some depth with masks.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

francesco glavinaRe: TEAL and ORANGE
by on Mar 28, 2011 at 7:46:56 am

Thanks for the test man...Just I Can't open it with my 2nd version of Colorista... Very strange... But I make test with it and I find it very useful... Thanks man!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved