ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

H.264 or Apple ProRes 422 for CS5 on new iMac?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin CaminH.264 or Apple ProRes 422 for CS5 on new iMac?
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 2:56:03 am

I know that AE and Premier can handle h.264 files-I'm working with footage shot off a HDSLR. But if I am doing a lot of heavy effects work on the footage in AE, would there be any benefit to transcoding it to Apple ProRes 422? Or is h.264 just fine?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: H.264 or Apple ProRes 422 for CS5 on new iMac?
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 7:13:08 am

H264 is a good codec for final delivery/playback and not for fx work. Best option is transcoding to a lossless format even if you get huge file sizes.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: H.264 or Apple ProRes 422 for CS5 on new iMac?
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 2:26:21 pm

The main benefit to transcoding is that the processor no longer has to work so hard to decode the highly compressed H.264 footage. It tends to make things go a little faster while you're working. (Unless, of course, you've got multiple files all trying to play at once off of a slow hard drive setup...)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: H.264 or Apple ProRes 422 for CS5 on new iMac?
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 3:52:58 pm

Thanks, Michael and Tudor!

I'm trying to have my client transcode the video files for me to save some time. He doesn't have FCP or Quicktime Pro, so we cannot go to Apple ProRes 422. Would the Animation codec be the best bet then?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: H.264 or Apple ProRes 422 for CS5 on new iMac?
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 4:04:44 pm

[Kevin Camin] "Would the Animation codec be the best bet then?"

If this footage hasn't been edited yet, I'd say no.

You'll drive yourself nuts in Premiere having to render every blessed thing just to play Animation in real time. Before the edit begins, I'd try out a variety of codecs. Photo JPEG at 95% isn't bad, nor is Motion JPEG A at best quality. All bets are off if you're just using a single hard drive: you probably can't sustain the bit rate necessary to play back anything in real time in Premiere.

If it's been edited already, you're okay with Animation. Or Apple's PNG codec. Either one is lossless, and PNG files are typically smaller than their Animation counterparts.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CaminRe: H.264 or Apple ProRes 422 for CS5 on new iMac?
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 4:29:05 pm

Thanks, Dave.

Information much appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]