ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render Multiple Tiles from Video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christine P.
Render Multiple Tiles from Video
on Mar 21, 2011 at 4:14:27 pm

I am creating a large video to play on multiple square LED panels and was asked to provide the squares as reference in addition to the large video file. Is there an easier way to create the squares than rendering each one separately? (There are over 50 in total!)

I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Render Multiple Tiles from Video
on Mar 21, 2011 at 4:29:46 pm

There is no set procedure for this type of thing, which makes it extremely tough to give you useful advice.

Before you can even think about starting AE work, I heartily recommend a visit to to the COW's Live & Stage Events forum:

http://forums.creativecow.net/livestageevents

Be prepared to tell the folks there every tiny detail you've been given about this gig: playback equipment, display equipment, resolutions, the type of event this is, your specifications for delivery.... the works.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Christine P.
on Mar 21, 2011 at 5:45:48 pm

Thank you for your response.

I will search some more in the live events section, although I tend to think this is more of an AE capabilities question. My question is actually unrelated to the final video file for the LED. I am trying to figure out if I can export the video from AE in tiles for reference. (These files will not play at the event or on the LED)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 21, 2011 at 6:04:28 pm

I suppose it would depend on the horizontal & vertical resolution of that one big video, the version of AE you run, and your system's capabilities.

50 is something of an odd number; it's not 8 across and 6 down (48), and it's not 7 across and 7 down (49). It would be 50 across and 1 down, or 25 across and 2 down for a very long display.

I don't know of a way to tell AE, "split up this big comp and render individual sections of it". There MIGHT be a script that can do it, but I don't know about it.

There IS one way I know how to do it: prerender the big, huge comp, reimport it, place it in 50 smaller comps (positioning it very carefully), then add all 50 comps to the render queue and go to sleep while AE works. Or maybe get a cup of coffee instead; considering all the heavy lifting would have been done already, AE would render those 50 comps very quickly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Christine P.
on Mar 21, 2011 at 6:07:52 pm

That's a great suggestion. I think I may try that.
Thanks again for your help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 21, 2011 at 6:12:12 pm

Glad it DID help: I wasn't sure it would.

Depending on the size of that one big comp, your prerender may be very slow. Perhaps that might be the time to grab some shut-eye.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 21, 2011 at 6:36:32 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "There IS one way I know how to do it: prerender the big, huge comp, reimport it, place it in 50 smaller comps (positioning it very carefully), then add all 50 comps to the render queue and go to sleep while AE works. Or maybe get a cup of coffee instead; considering all the heavy lifting would have been done already, AE would render those 50 comps very quickly."

That is exactly how I do it.

Another option is to do this with your encoder application, through a stack of presets with custom crop settings. You feed it the main render, and it kicks out the cropped tiles.

With either method, a couple minutes in Excel to figure out the precise positions will save you a lot of frustration.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Mar 21, 2011 at 6:33:39 pm

I'm not too sure what you need BUT I'm guessing that you need a grid to be displayed for reference purposes. Effect>Generate>Grid should do nicely. Just do some math to ensure that your Grid matches each LED (again assuming that that's what you're after).

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]