ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating multiple pieces of fruit

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daryl LannertAnimating multiple pieces of fruit
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 2:44:35 pm

Hello,
Im trying to animate a bowl of fruit. I want the fruit to seem as though they are all laughing at something. I figured I would make them all shake just slightly and move back and forth. I was planning on using two people with Green Chroma Key gloves to move the fruit. The problem seems that I would only have two pieces of fruit moving at once. How would I crop each set of movements to combine them so they are all moving at once?

Return to posts index

Jason MettlerRe: Animating multiple pieces of fruit
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 2:58:13 pm

Can you make all the pieces of fruit separate layers and use the wiggle expression? Attach the expression to a slider control so you can animate it.

Return to posts index

Daryl LannertRe: Animating multiple pieces of fruit
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:19:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying to "Mask" each piece of fruit as a separate layer?

Return to posts index

Jason MettlerRe: Animating multiple pieces of fruit
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:53:21 pm

Well, if your original picture was of everything combined then you will have to separate the individual fruits. The downside is that you lose anything that sits behind an object in the foreground. If you film/shoot each piece separately and group them together in AE, then you'll have independently editable layers.
If you use what you have already, make enough duplicates of the layer to account for each piece of fruit. Mask out everything but the featured item in every layer. Then you can animate the layers independently. Take care, though, in a wiggle or puppet pin not to let the fruit move too much so that you see where the layer is cropped.

Hope that clears that up!

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Animating multiple pieces of fruit
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:39:07 pm

You've not provided sufficient details but I would take a serious look at using the Puppet Pin Tool for such an effect.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Daryl LannertRe: Animating multiple pieces of fruit
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 4:27:52 pm

Sorry for the lack of details. I am planning on shooting a bowl of fruit on a table with a white table cloth. The frame will be a medium shot with the bowl of fruit in the back right hand corner of the frame. The rest of the frame will be white table cloth without any edges of the table showing. A couple pieces of fruit will come over the bowls edge and do some moving around on the table.
My problem is the fruit in the bowl.

Say I have three of each piece of fruit, pears, grapefruit, orange and apple. If I move the apples with my hands green screened, none of the other fruit is moving, the same goes for when i move the other fruit. How do I combine all of my footage of moving fruit?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Animating multiple pieces of fruit
by on Mar 21, 2011 at 6:26:57 pm

This sounds like it's more suited for a 3D application. With green screen hands, you'll also occlude part of the fruit you're touching.

Start by shooting the bowl with all the fruits MINUS the ones that will leave the bowl.

Take one shot of each of the fruits that will leave the bowl. These will be composited into the bowl with the other fruits.

You're then having to composite the individual fruits into the fruit bowl and then animating them leaving the bowl and moving about on the table. For these, the Puppet Pin Tool should be worth a huge shout.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Animating multiple pieces of fruit
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 4:50:11 pm

Sounds like a fun project to try some stop motion photography with.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]