ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Alpha Inverse Matte with 3D Layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Dan PintoAlpha Inverse Matte with 3D Layers
by on Mar 19, 2011 at 3:08:17 pm

I'm having an issue with an Alpha Inverse Matte on a 3D layer.

My project is set up with 3 3D solids, one in front of the other, and a light centered on the top one. When I mask the top layer normally, pen tool, the light treats the mask like a window, shining through it. This is the effect I want.

However, I'm trying to create this effect with a type layer so, I used an Alpha Inverse matte on the front solid. The problem is that the light doesn't see the Alpha matte as a "window." Instead, I get a hole in the solid but the shadow cast by it is the shadow of the whole solid.

I included a picture:

On the left is the alpha matte on the right is the pen tool mask. Notice that the alpha matte still casts a shadow, while the pen tool mask does not. I'd like the alpha matte (left) to behave like the pen mask (right). Help?

NEVERMIND. I figured it out.

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Alpha Inverse Matte with 3D Layers
by on Mar 19, 2011 at 11:00:01 pm

You should let the forum know how you figured it out so it can show up if someones else searches a similar problem.

Return to posts index

Dan PintoRe: Alpha Inverse Matte with 3D Layers
by on Mar 22, 2011 at 1:45:17 pm

Oh. Sorry about that.

It seems so obvious now but, I just pre-comped the solid with the matte layer and treated that comp as a 3D layer. Then, I could animate all I wanted within the pre-comp and the result would look as I wanted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved