ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Resizing a comp with 3D objetcs/camera movements: z dimension issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlo Sirtori
Resizing a comp with 3D objetcs/camera movements: z dimension issue
on Mar 18, 2011 at 7:14:00 pm

Hello,

I'm quite new at AE and your forum helped me out many times recently (I had issues to which your experts had already answered). So, first off, thanks!

Now, I have a question I haven't found and answer to yet. Here is the story:

I built a S3D-rig in AE (two cameras attached to a null object, basically) to obtain stereoscopic 3D footage.

To put it simple, my project consists of a series of flat layers put in Z space and of this 3D-rig moving back and forward through them.

The layers are created through masks covering parts of one same footage. Since the footage I had, when I started the project, was 720p, I created 1280*720 compositions.

Now, I found for the final render of my project 1080p footage (it would be long to explain why now and why not before...). I tried to resize my compositions to full HD dimensions and it seemed to work pretty good: I was afraid that replacing the footage and resizing the comps would kill all the work done with my masks... still, I have two major issues:

- the text layers did not adapt to the new comp size, so I should resize them one by one (that's not a huge nightmare, though)
- this one is really tough: while all X and Y movements of my 3D-rig and layers positions adapted to the new comp size, the Z values remained exactly the same of the 720p version...

I'm not a big expert, but I guess it makes sense: AE is not exactly a 3D oriented software and Z dimension looks more like a bonus feature than an essential one. But still, maybe you guys can help me address this (if I had to go through changing all Z values... well, I could just not do that).

Thanks and sorry if I spoke to much nonsense AE-wise :D

Carlo

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Resizing a comp with 3D objetcs/camera movements: z dimension issue
on Mar 18, 2011 at 8:33:29 pm

[Carlo Sirtori] "I built a S3D-rig in AE (two cameras attached to a null object, basically) to obtain stereoscopic 3D footage.

To put it simple, my project consists of a series of flat layers put in Z space and of this 3D-rig moving back and forward through them."

That's a good idea, but I'm sorry to say it won't work the way you plan. AE only allow you to use one camera at a time.

You could, by switching active cameras, generate a left eye view and render it, then a right eye view and render it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Mar 18, 2011 at 9:34:27 pm

The best way to resize a comp is with the Scale Composition script included with AE.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Carlo Sirtori
on Mar 19, 2011 at 2:47:25 am

Thanks for your quick answers!

Actually, the 3D-rig is more complex than what I said. I didn't want to bore you with the details. I based the 3D-rig on a tutorial my company bought online, readapting it to my needs (the 3D-rig in the tutorial had interaxial and convergence related, and that's a real nonsense in S3D shooting). My 3D-rig is a four comps thing, where I have a "central" camera that I move around for animations, I place layers etc. Then I have a left and a right eye comps (with two cameras linked to the "central" one, and the central comp embedded in them). And finally there's a stereo control comp, where I see the left and right comps fused in anaglyphs and where I can move the interaxial and the convergence, ie change the depth of the scene and its global placement back/forth. I said that my 3D-rig was "basically two cameras linked to a null", it's somewhat true... except the two cameras don't share the same comp, nor does the null. To do a 3D-rig "the easy way", but probably not the best way, one could create the animation in one comp, and call it "left eye". Then duplicate that comp and change the camera's X values to "+something" and call it "right eye". Render the two eyes and set the convergence in a third comp or in any editing software (it's a simple shift of one eye as regards to the other - they call it HIT, "horizontal image translation").

Anyway, for my noobish issue, I'll try the "Scale Composition script" for sure (I just have to find what it is first, but I'm sure I'll find the info in the forum... or in the manual!).

I hope I can adapt Z positions without touching X and Y (that are automatically adapted when resizing the comp).

Thanks!

Carlo

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 19, 2011 at 4:07:47 am

The Scale Composition script is listed on this page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]