ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Importing MKV Into After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harry MitchellImporting MKV Into After Effects
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 3:13:52 pm

Hell everyone,

I am trying to import a MKV h264 video file into After Effects. When I do so I am told by After Effects that the file is an un supported file type.

I was wondering what I can do to get this video into After Effects. The first workaround that springs to mind is to convert the video file into a supported format, the problem is I only need around 15 seconds of a 40 minute 720p video file so converting the whole file seems rather a long way to go about resolving my issue.

I was wondering if anyone knows a piece of software that will allow me to edit the video down to the 15 seconds I need and then to convert it to an appropriate format. I was also wondering what the most appropriate format would be to convert to, as I want to try and maintain as much quality as possible.

Hope you can help,

Harry Mitchell

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Importing MKV Into After Effects
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 4:30:41 pm

Here, let me Google that for you:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Harry MitchellRe: Importing MKV Into After Effects
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 5:26:29 pm

If only it were that simple ...

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Importing MKV Into After Effects
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 6:35:19 pm

It might be hard to find someone with direct post-production experience with media in MKV containers. This is not a common professional format at all.

What platform are you on?

The beta version of MPEG Streamclip for Mac lists MKV support. I use MPEG Streamclip all the time, though I've never tried it with media in an MKV container.

Avidemux claims MKV support on both platforms. I followed Dave's advice and Googled "edit mkv" to find that one...

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved