ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

¿Multiprocessing inactive rendering AE project in PP sequence?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Zapater¿Multiprocessing inactive rendering AE project in PP sequence?
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 1:07:13 pm

Hi! I'll go straight to the point :)

My system:
Core i7 920
18 gigs RAM
ATI 5850

The AE project I'm using is very intensive in effects, flares, opticals and so on... It renders with CPU at 100% with no problem when rendering directly with AE with a satisfactory speed given my system specs.

This AE project is part of a Premiere Pro sequence. Of course, to increase productivity and save renders, the logical step would be to insert the AE project into the sequence through dynamic link and that is what I've done, but...

- The part of the sequence that is "genuine" PP is rendered at 100% CPU's
- The part of the sequence corresponding to the AE project is rendered at 20-30% CPU and very slow compared to the direct AE render.
- No matter what settings are touched in AE memory and multiprocessing section; the result is the same when rendering in PP or Media Encoder.

Memory and multiprocessing settings in AE as follow right now:
- Installed RAM 18GB
- RAM reserved for other applications 3GB (can't put less than that)
- RAM available for rest of Adobe applications (15GB)
- Render simultaneously frames enabled
- Installed CPU's 8
- CPU reserved for others applications 0
- RAM allocation per background CPU 2GB
- Actual CPU's that will be used 6

As I said, no matter what values you input in the fields. The result is the same. Even when rendering in AE the 8 CPU's are used at 100% and not 6. I've tried with 3 CPU, 1,5GB, 3GB and so on. It just doesn't work.

So... I'm completely lost. I think I have enough RAM to feed all 8 CPU's and allow multiprocessing with AE embedded in PP but I'm unable to know what is failing. Or if it is normal... Maybe multiprocessing just doesn't work with dynamic link?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: ¿Multiprocessing inactive rendering AE project in PP sequence?
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 4:49:49 pm

> Maybe multiprocessing just doesn't work with dynamic link?

Correct.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Carlos ZapaterRe: ¿Multiprocessing inactive rendering AE project in PP sequence?
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 6:13:25 pm

Thanks for answering Todd. I find that thing very annoying. The benefits of Dynamic Link are not so good then...

Do you know if multiprocessing will be added to dynamic link in future updates of CS5 or CS6?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Multiprocessing inactive rendering AE project in PP sequence?
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 6:47:00 pm

[Carlos Zapater] "...I find that thing very annoying. The benefits of Dynamic Link are not so good then..."

Well, consider this: Adobe PURCHASED both Premiere and After Effects from two different software companies. It didn't develop the code for these applications itself.

Think about the implications of those purchases. Adobe then owned software coded with two different software development philosophies. Two different lists of what the software needs to do, and these lists often conflict. Two different ways of structuring and manipulating data. No common, unified approach to working with multimedia files.

When you consider that fact and the implications, it's an accomplishment that Dynamic Link -- an Adobe application that tries to make them play nice together -- works AT ALL .

But you're right: Dynamic Link is no miracle worker. At least now you know why it's no miracle worker.

Now, there are multimedia production applications that work perfectly together: I'm thinking about Autodesk's 3DS Max, Maya, Softimage, Flame and Smoke. The results are stunning.

But you pay a very steep price for that kind of integration. For example, Smoke is now available on the Macintosh. However, THEY tell you precisely what hardware and OS you must buy, and you don't buy the software: the rental is 15 THOUSAND dollars every year.

And all of a sudden, the shortcomings of Dynamic Link don't look all that bad.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Carlos ZapaterRe: Multiprocessing inactive rendering AE project in PP sequence?
by on Mar 19, 2011 at 7:57:19 am

I don't pretend to start a flame war with that post. The only thing I wanted to state saying that I was annoyed, and is a fact, is that it is evident that I would have saved the time for testing and a memory upgrade if Adobe made clear that kind of behavior of Dynamic Link.

I'm not aware of the problems of Adobe purchasing companies and making his products better. And I don't have to be... I make videos, not applications. And I expected one component to function different than reality because I had no info about one particular situation. That's the point.

Now I will send the survey Todd has posted and I hope at least that Adobe make clear that situation for all the people that are in the same situation as me.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: ¿Multiprocessing inactive rendering AE project in PP sequence?
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 7:01:06 pm

> Do you know if multiprocessing will be added to dynamic link in future updates of CS5 or CS6?

Performance improvements in this area are a high priority. You can influence that by making a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

How to give feedback on After Effects here.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Carlos ZapaterRe: ¿Multiprocessing inactive rendering AE project in PP sequence?
by on Mar 19, 2011 at 7:45:17 am

Thanks again, Todd. I will do that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]