ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Align Text Left Scripting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew JoalAlign Text Left Scripting
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 12:38:45 am

I’m new to scripting with After Effects and I’m having troubles doing the simplest thing. I got most of my program to work just fine, however, when I used the built-in text replace function it changes my text from left aligned to center aligned. I need to set my text layer to left align again after the text it changed.

Can anyone please help me? I know this is very basic, I just can’t find anything in the scripting guide that will help.

My last resort option is to set the anchor point of the text field but I would rather just set the alignment.

Here is the replace function:

replaceTextInLayer(app.project.item(99).layer(8), "Original", "New")

I just want to left align this text layer.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Align Text Left Scripting
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 3:14:48 pm

I'm having difficulty understanding why it's necessary in your project to use a script do do this when you can create a text layer using the Justify Left setting, and change the text using Source Text keyframes on the text layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian BernekerRe: Align Text Left Scripting
by on Jun 9, 2011 at 1:55:16 am

I have the same problem (right align actually):

I create a text object, set it right aligned and all is well.
I then duplicate the object so that it has the same font, alignment etc., and use an expression to get the source text from the first text object. Once I do this, the new layer suddenly changes its alignment to "centered" and is uneditable!

Solution/Workaround PLOX?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved