ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects importing at wrong size, quicktime 'movie info' changed?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua HarrisAfter Effects importing at wrong size, quicktime 'movie info' changed?
by on Mar 17, 2011 at 12:43:09 pm

Hi there. I had a look around but couldnt find anyone with this same problem so here goes.

Recently, after effects has been doing this annoying thing of importing 720x576 (1.46 par) clips from Cinema4D in at 160x120, and theres seemingly no way to change it. Once its in at that size, when scaling it treats it as though it was always 160x120 so it looks rubbish.

Strangely when i open the clips in Quicktime player they also come up as 160 120, but when you scale up the window the normal resolution is reached.

When I click Get Info (im on a mac), the resolution is reported as 160x120. BUT when I 'quicklook' the video, it comes up at the right size, albeit the wrong p.a.r but that's standard.

I'm posting this here because the only part I care about is importing to AE. I realise the issue might stem from before that stage but, has anyone experienced this / know a way to change the resolution within AE, or know away to edit the movie info, in TextEdit, say?

The only way round it i've so far found is re-rendering the clips out of cinema 4d, which can obviously take a very long time. AGAIN curiously once ive done that it imports fine, it's only after a while - say, second use - that it imports at the wrong size

It's all very, very odd.

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After Effects importing at wrong size, quicktime 'movie info' changed?
by on Mar 17, 2011 at 3:35:23 pm

ae can get some things wrong about footage when it is brought into a project... things like par, color profiles, maybe frame rate. this is usually due to the codec not writing that data into the file and ae footage interpretation rules. and those are usually easy enough to fix in the interpret footage settings.

however, ae will not modify the frame size, or modify the footage at all... so if the footage is showing up with the wrong frame size, the file was probably accidentally rendered at that size, and you will probably need to go back to c4d and render again.

double check that you didn't accidentally import the wrong footage... maybe there were some proxies rendered out, and you imported those, but the full sized files are rendered somewhere on the drive....

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Michael DavisRe: After Effects importing at wrong size, quicktime 'movie info' changed?
by on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:40:04 pm

I'm having the same problem.

Finder is interpreting quicktime files as 960x540 instead of the 1920 x 1080 they're being exported as.

This is exporting from a Quantel Pablo. Apparently it's a known bug with QT. I've spat out both MP4s and H264s, DEFINITELY at 1920, and they show up in Finder as 960, and also import into After Effects as 960, but when you open it simply in Quicktime and turn on file info (option-i), it says '1920x1080 (actual)'. Actual meaning the 100% file size, not how big you've got the window open.

Just need to find out how/why it does this.

Return to posts index

David KramesRe: After Effects importing at wrong size, quicktime 'movie info' changed?
by on Nov 5, 2014 at 2:04:16 pm

Quantel export HD video with „Normal size“ = 1980x1080, but with Display size = 960 x 540 px
All applications use Normal size parameters for Video frame size (Final Cut, Players, NUKE…)
But Adobe (Premiere, After Effects..) is using Display Size parameter from any reason. I think it is bug in Adobe.

Solution on Quantel side:
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Quantel\PabloHD\Quantel\FileIOQT7\x.x.x.x\Custom Settings and change the key for "Enable large frame playout resize" from the default "1" to "0".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved