ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Managing plug-ins in CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoe WoodworthManaging plug-ins in CS5
by on Mar 16, 2011 at 8:33:34 pm

So, I've just installed After Effects CS5. I fire it up and whoa, what are all these third-party plug-ins? I assume they are trial versions that have been pre-installed? How do I uninstall them, because it's annoying having this enormous list of crap that I can't use? For example, the Boinx FxTiles. There's nothing in my plug-ins folder called either "Boinx," "FxTiles," or "Flip 3D." I use spotlight to search my whole computer, and there's just nothing. Where are these annoying phantom plug-ins coming from?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Managing plug-ins in CS5
by on Mar 16, 2011 at 8:53:18 pm

I'm not making accusations, mind you, but it sounds suspiciously like you may have procured a copy of AE from a not-entirely-trustworthy source.

I got mine straight from Adobe -- no friend-of-a-friend or anything like that, I know its provenance -- and there was not even a hint of the plugins you mention.

And speaking of third-party plugins, which ones DO you have? Mocha? Keylight? The Cycore Effects, e.g. CC Mr, Mercury, CC Rain, CC Pixel Poly, CC Vector Blur?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Managing plug-ins in CS5
by on Mar 16, 2011 at 8:56:27 pm

They are FxFactory plugins from Noise Industries. If you have this particular set of effects installed for FCP or Motion, they will also load in After Effects. If you don't use them, you can run the FxFactory application to turn them off.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Managing plug-ins in CS5
by on Mar 16, 2011 at 9:01:12 pm

[Walter Soyka] "They are FxFactory plugins from Noise Industries. If you have this particular set of effects installed for FCP or Motion, they will also load in After Effects."

That's what I get for being bereft of third-party plugins. My apologies to the OP.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Mar 16, 2011 at 9:11:44 pm

It's a very cool set of effects. FxFactory is Mac-only, as it's built on Apple's Quartz technology. These effects also render on the graphics card instead of the CPU, which can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your needs.

The plugin manager itself is a really interesting idea; basically, it includes all the plugins available for it, both from Noise Industries and third-party developers, and you can activate and license them individually at any time.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Craig WallRe: Managing plug-ins in CS5
by on Mar 18, 2011 at 12:32:08 am

Noise Industries has actually created a whole plug-ins platform. They provide the core technology that companies like Boinx, Yanobox, etc are using.

I like the ones that I've purchased so far: Nodes and MoType from Yanobox.

You can use the Noise Industries manager app to pare down/turn off plugins that you haven't paid for yet or aren't' interested in.

Life is full of funny particles.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 18, 2011 at 1:04:38 am

[Craig Wall] "Noise Industries has actually created a whole plug-ins platform. They provide the core technology that companies like Boinx, Yanobox, etc are using."

Yes -- and if you're so inclined, you can pretty easily develop your own effects for it, too.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]