ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Psunami Advanced Compositing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale PaquettePsunami Advanced Compositing
by on Mar 16, 2011 at 3:07:25 pm

I am working with Psunami in AE with which I am fairly proficient. It's a great tool, but has limitations WRT compositing. I'm looking for some ideas for a FX I would like to create (using Psunami). I picture the open sea with a boat cruising from close by on the left of the frame to far way on the right side. In other words, at an angle relative to the frame. I have a 3D model of the ship and can roughly match the model and AE cameras (I'm using Bryce 7.1 Pro which can neither import nor export camera data) so the movement is realistic. The problem is in placing the boat in the water so that it's keel is always underwater while the waves lap up against its side. Red Giant material shows how to composite a boat using the Psunami distance mask. However, this is only suitable for a boat moving horizontally across the frame. I have it in my mind that I can create a distance mask for the boat (end to end) and in some way combine it with the Psunami distance mask to get the angle I'm looking for. Such a technique would also be useful if a 3D landscape model created a shoreline at an angle relative to the frame. Anyway, I can't put my finger on how to do this. Does anyone have any ideas - other than use a different plugin? Thanks, Dale

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Psunami Advanced Compositing
by on Mar 16, 2011 at 3:39:56 pm

Hey Dale,
I've done the same thing but with the boat just going straight across left to right and used the distance cutoff setting, which worked okay. For what you are trying to do the distance cutoff won't work. I would suggest just masking the bottom of the boat. You'll have to animate the mask manually if you want the waves to lap against the side of the boat. That's the only way I can think of to do it but maybe someone else will have a better idea...

Return to posts index

Dale PaquetteRe: Psunami Advanced Compositing
by on Mar 16, 2011 at 5:04:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have been thinking about masking, but I'd like to take into consideration the irregular and constantly changing waterline that results when the boat is in a seaway. That said, Some of it I can cover up by creating a displacement map representing the bow wave and another for the stern wave. These can be animated to move along and recede with the boat as it changes distance from the camera. By carefully setting the displacement parameters, it can be made to look pretty good. To handle distant shorelines, I'm experimenting with painting the surf on a transparent layer (mostly a ragged white line) and fading it in and out to simulate the arrival of successive wave fronts. That said, I'm still hoping to figure out a procedural solution.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Psunami Advanced Compositing
by on Mar 16, 2011 at 5:17:25 pm

I just recently finished a project using Psunami. It involved an extreme camera move. I tried to use Bryce as well, but there was no way of matching the camera so I ended up using Zaxwerks Invigorator Pro. I ran in the same issue as you did and ended up doing an animated mask as it was suggested. Not liking the final result very much I added a layer using particles (Particular) to simulate water splashing as the ship split the waves. I can not post the final result because the project is not delivered yet, however I can post a test I did that involves FreeForm and 3D displacement to cover the area where the object meets the water (in this case a shark fin):

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

zak pericRe: Psunami Advanced Compositing
by on Oct 14, 2011 at 10:53:32 am

HI There,

I love what you did with Psunami. I was wondering if you can help me by pointing me to a website with a tutorial or maybe you can explain it to me how to composite my sky to a psunamy filter. I know that I can take the sun off, but when I place a image behind the see looks like it is very close and it does not work correctly. What would I need to do to achieve this please.
Many thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved