ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing color of a car over time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Price
Changing color of a car over time
on Mar 14, 2011 at 6:48:17 pm

Hello!

I have been browsing the forum for awhile and have learned some great stuff here, but I'm having trouble with a project and can't find the answer. I am trying to change the color of my van as a friend walks by with a pressure washer. I'm trying to make it as if the van is being painted as he walks by.

I'm going to try and change the van to a solid color in photoshop and then try some of the color effects in after effects. I've tried a few different color effects with the current footage but since the van is white a lot of surrounding colors are being affected as well.

Here is a link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BnEdiqOZbo
Thank You!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Changing color of a car over time
on Mar 14, 2011 at 7:57:40 pm

Since it is a static shot it is not that hard. You can create a still plate in PSD as you were thinking and color the van there. You might as well cut out the parts of the van that will change color and create a layer with just those elements. Then you can import that layer in AE and reveal the color with an animated mask as your friend passes by. To make it look more realistic you will need to do some rotoscoping to cut the shape of your friend as he moves over the color so that he and the hose can come on top of the color plate. Also adding a spray coming out of the sprayer would help- Trapcode Particular can be used.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 14, 2011 at 8:01:04 pm

Hey Don,

Since you're still new to After Effects, I'd recommend the following link, in which Adobe's Todd Kopriva pulls together some important introductory materials:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

The effect you're asking for is deceptively complicated. I assume you want your paint to come out of the pressure washer, which means you'll have to track its tip and create something spraying out of it (probably with a particle system). Starting the paint effect in Photoshop is a great idea, but you'll want it to wipe on somewhat organically, which you can do with a combination of animated masks and fractal noise luma mattes (possibly a luma matte based on your spray particle system, too).

You can make this shot a lot simpler if you reshoot it so your friend walks backwards. Walking forward as he does, you have to rotoscope him as he crosses in front of the area you want the paint to appear. If you're reshooting anyway, a tracking marker on the pressure washer nozzle will help, especially where the dark tip dips in front of the tire.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Don Price
on Mar 14, 2011 at 8:27:46 pm

Thank you both very much for the help. I am not worried about the spray effect just yet, I just need to get the main idea produced at the moment. I will try rotoscoping and using an animating mask and see how it goes.

Once I am able to shoot again I'll definitely add the motion tracker and recreate the motion in reverse.

I'll be sure to post the final results once I'm done.

Thanks again for the great ideas!

Return to posts index

Don Price
on Mar 15, 2011 at 6:01:15 pm

I think i'm going to put this project on hold for the moment. I've attempted to use the techniques you two suggested, but I need to learn a little more about after effects masks, rotoscoping, and tracking features.

Thanks again for the suggestions and info!

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Mar 15, 2011 at 11:46:00 pm

A difference matte (Keying > Difference Matte) may help you create a matte for your friend walking in front of the van. Read up on that in the documentation as well :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Don Price
on Mar 26, 2011 at 5:25:12 am

Thanks for all the help everyone! I was able to change the color of the car over time.

Here is the final result.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhzz8MGiRDU

It's not that great, but I'm happy with it so far.

Next project will be using a motion tracker.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]