ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Does this AE "bug" affect you?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig WallDoes this AE "bug" affect you?
by on Mar 14, 2011 at 3:00:29 am

I have had much better After Effects stability lately and my faith in Adobe has been somewhat re-assured.

I do still have one remaining "bug" that is a source of frequent irritation. That is, when I switch in and out of After Effects I often get a beach ball for as long as 10-15 seconds. No crash or anything, but an annoying "sit-and-wait-there" delay whenever I need to go fish in the finder for a resource or bounce to Illustrator, Photoshop or iTunes.

Anytime I use a different app and return to After Effects I may (or may not) see this issue.

BTW...I have allocated 8 GB to "other applications."

I also find that Photoshop will hit me with a delay when it first launches...where the program will be almost completely unresponsive until as Digitil Lloyd puts it, "it has warmed up."

Anyone share this experience?

Life is full of funny particles.

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Does this AE "bug" affect you?
by on Mar 14, 2011 at 3:52:41 am

Are you using any 'on access' virus scanning software? Do you have a RAID? Are your assets stored on your system drive or another one? Any other unusual hardware involved?

Just some random shot-in-the-dark questions :)

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Craig WallRe: Does this AE "bug" affect you?
by on Mar 14, 2011 at 4:43:19 am

I'm using a local (but shared) drive. No virus software. 12 TB 0-RAID. My AE is loaded with plugins and scripts. No unusual hardware.

Very conservative and generous RAM/CPU allocation.

I'll be interested to see if anyone else shares the issue. It doesn't happen all the time, but I can't seem to find any pattern, rhyme or reason.

It's certainly no crippling problem, but it does slow me up a little and certainly annoys me.

Life is full of funny particles.

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: Does this AE "bug" affect you?
by on Mar 15, 2011 at 2:56:52 pm

I find that if you've recently restarted your machine, the first time you open any application (AE, PS, etc.) it will chug a bit while it opens for the first time. When you close the application, and then open it again later in the same session, the program opens quicker. I don't know for sure, but I recall reading that this is because your RAM will hold (cached) certain data required to run the program, and so the launch is much quicker the next time.

Purge your RAM, or restart the machine, and the next time it will load a lot slower.

I experience this - but is my explanation correct? I'm not going to swear by it, but it makes sense to me... ;-)

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved