ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

24p native

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cherlique lilienthal24p native
by on Mar 13, 2011 at 12:45:40 pm

I already asked around about this and searched some forums but i was unable to get a simple straight forward answer.

i am filming with a canon vixia hv40 and the footage is great for such a camcorder but i dont quite understand the 24p native mode.

i capture the footage with adobe premiere pro cs5 and do everything else in adobe after effects cs5.

first of all the footage is capured in mpeg format. is this normal? isnt it suposed to be capturing in avi format? or is it a hdv thing? because when i used to cature with my previous standard defenition dv camcorder it always captures and renders lossles to avi.

my second question is: what are the correct comp setting (framerate, fields, aspact pixel ratio etc.) in after effects for this type of footage? and do i have to interpert all of the clips seperately?

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: 24p native
by on Mar 13, 2011 at 6:09:48 pm

Your camera shoots in either Hi-def HDV (mpeg) format or standard-def DV (AVI). I assume you are shooting in 1920x1080 hi-def so the footage will all be in mpeg format. This is not a good format for compositing in After Effects because of the lossy inter-frame compression. You can do it, it just won't have the best quality and you may run into other problems. I would suggest converting it to another format before importing it into AE. But if you want to take your chances with the mpeg footage, when you import the footage into AE it will automatically be interpreted so you just drag the clip to the new comp icon and it will create a new comp with the correct settings for that footage. The only thing to watch out for is the fields setting in the interpret footage dialog because AE sometimes sets it to "lower field first" when it should be "none". If the footage looks jagged then try setting it to "none" and see if it looks better.

It may be tedious but you should really read the manual if you want to understand your equipment. Also check out the wiki on HDV here:

Return to posts index

cherlique lilienthalRe: 24p native
by on Mar 13, 2011 at 7:50:04 pm

thanx for the reply but after effects doesnt interpert the footage automaticly. because of the 24p native function it wraps the 24p in 60i. so i have to interpert and guess 3:4 pulldown that takes care of the framerate but the aspect ratio becomes 1:33 or 1440 * 1920 and that mekes the footage appear streched changing to square pixel also takes car of that but the frame rate still doesnt feel right in the comp settings. after interperting should i leave the comp frame rate at 29.97 or change to 24 or 23.976? i also noticed the fields so i did remove that

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: 24p native
by on Mar 14, 2011 at 12:05:01 am

I didn't know AE would not interpret the HDV footage correctly, I guess that would be one of the "other" problems with mpeg footage.

The frame rate is referred to as 24p but it's really 23.976 so you should use that frame rate for the comp. Actual 24p is just for film.

Depending on where you are distributing the final video you may eventually need to convert to 29.97 or other frame rates depending on the platform the video will be viewed on - TV, web, etc...

Return to posts index

cherlique lilienthalRe: 24p native
by on Mar 14, 2011 at 3:19:14 am

i dont think this is an mpeg problem, i think its that 24p native thing in programs non linear editing software like premiere and final cut you dont have to do a thing for it to playback right but its compositing programs like AE that have trouble decoding the 29.92 1440*1080 wrapper. i only wanted to know if i am doing it right. if you have the time google the hv40 24p native mode.from what i understand its diffrent from the original 24p mode.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved