ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Animate Layer Sorting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy IllumAnimate Layer Sorting
by on Mar 12, 2011 at 6:26:12 pm

Hello Everyone,

In after effects I am trying to animate the sorting of layers. So when I change the position of a layer(ex one layer being moved above the other) in after effects it will record the change as part of the animation, at the selected time in the animation. I have 22 layers and would like to record each layer being moved to the top in one second intervals.

Return to posts index

Erik WaluskaRe: Animate Layer Sorting
by on Mar 13, 2011 at 12:56:54 am

I'm not totally sure I follow what you're trying to accomplish but check out, they have a ton of scripts for sorting, moving, abusing layers in various ways.

Return to posts index

Randy IllumRe: Animate Layer Sorting
by on Mar 13, 2011 at 7:58:36 pm

I have a script all ready that will randomly rearrange the layers what I am trying to do is:
1. Have a layer arrangement
2. Rearrange the layers (the layers have a low opacity so when the layers are rearranged it looks different) because the layers 100% overlap
3. Record the layer rearrangement in the animation
4. Rearrange the layers
5. Record the new layer arrangement
6. Repeat...

Does this make more sense?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Animate Layer Sorting
by on Mar 13, 2011 at 10:10:17 pm

If I understand correctly you are trying to animate the layer order- I do not think AE does that. My way of achieving what I think you're after would be to create several comps with different layer orders (one comp per combination) and then either render them out and use a editing app like Premiere or FCP to cut the 1sec segments from each combination and mix them, or do basically the same thing in AE but end up with a ton of precomps trimmed to one sec.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Randy IllumRe: Animate Layer Sorting
by on Mar 13, 2011 at 10:25:01 pm

Thanks for your help. Not the answer I was hoping for, but going to do what you suggested and use Premiere to create the animation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved