ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

revolving objects + revolving footage = headspinning

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vitantonio D'Ambrosio
revolving objects + revolving footage = headspinning
on Mar 10, 2011 at 3:32:16 pm

Hello there, long time no see.
I need help on something that's really driving me nuts, mostly because I'm trying to make it as easy and open to changes as possible.
Let me break it down.
I've got a footage of a revolving object that the 3d artist at the office made. Client wants to put text on it and I had the idea to have it revolve around the object. Piece of cake.
I created a null object, made it 3d and made it revolve exactly as the object does. Created my 7 layers of text, made them 3d moved them around in 3d space and linked them to the null object. They always face the camera, to make it more readable. Made the footage a 3d layer too and everything works fine.
Here's the tricky part. I want to have lines coming out of the object to connect it to the various text.
So I created a new solid, made a mask, generated a stroke, made the layer 3d, connected it to the text and the null object.
Everything revolves just fine but here's the problem. I have to have the lines way too far from the footage to have them go behind and in front of it as they revolve, if I get them closer to the footage and the null, then they don't get behind when they are supposed to.
I hope I'm making sense.
I really can't wrap my head around a solution that doesn't involve duplicating the footage and using it as a matte when needed, 'cause that would mean having 14 different precomp to retouch everytime a change is made on the position of the text.
Would Z depth help in any way? I have no idea how to use it.
Or am I better off admitting defeat and having the 3D team do the work?

thanks on advance for any word of advice on this.
V.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: revolving objects + revolving footage = headspinning
on Mar 10, 2011 at 6:36:21 pm

[Vitantonio D'Ambrosio] "Or am I better off admitting defeat and having the 3D team do the work?"

I wouldn't call it "admitting defeat", it's just that a 3D application is designed for this kind of work. Accomplishing the same thing in AE -- where you often find yourself faking 3D -- can drive you crazy.

Think of it as doing the work in the proper application for the task, one that will preserve your sanity.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Vitantonio D'Ambrosio
on Mar 10, 2011 at 6:55:15 pm

I though so, thanks for your sensible advice.
I guess we'll just have to do that. It still is going to be hard work as the 3d team only made one revolve and I made it turn 6 times in After Effects so that I would have the time for all the text, that's why I was trying to work my way around in After Effects.

Again, thanks for your help.
V.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 10, 2011 at 8:05:51 pm

Not knowing specifics it's hard to say that it will work, but the New Zaxwerks Invigorator allows for 3D in AE. You can link 3D objects to AE 3D layers and animate those layers (and thus the objects). This may be an option for your project.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 10, 2011 at 8:25:09 pm

[Vitantonio D'Ambrosio] "...the 3d team only made one revolve and I made it turn 6 times in After Effects so that I would have the time for all the text..."

That shouldn't be very difficult to fix. It does mean a lot more rendering for them, however.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]