ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

convert VOB for after effects cs5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ewan Horlock
convert VOB for after effects cs5
on Mar 10, 2011 at 1:07:36 pm

Hi there,

I have a DVD (corporate promo video) which I need to cut up and add animation too

I need to import it into Ae to add some extra text animation ...and then put it into Premiere Pro.

So far I have taken the video folder off the DVD and there is a .VOB file there.

However I cant seem to import this in Ae ... is there a lossless format which I could transcode the VOB file into?

I have tried to put it into Media Encoder and export as a Quicktime animation (which comes out with very large file size)..however I'm not sure if this is the best way.

Also the DVD is NTSC 720x480 and I need to convert it to Pal 720x576

Not too sue what the best workflow would be..so that I'm not converting it mulitple times and lossing quality.

any suggestions would be helpful

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
Re: convert VOB for after effects cs5
on Mar 10, 2011 at 1:56:48 pm

You might try changing the extension on the .VOB file to .MPG I know that usually works with Premiere.

Jim

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 10, 2011 at 4:34:44 pm

It may be more convenient to use footage from a DVD, but I don't think you'll be pleased with the result.

If this was my project, and there was any possible way to secure the footage from which they made the DVD, I would be relentless in my pursuit of it. The file size would be incredibly large, but well worth it to preserve image quality. An MPEG 2 video file has had a lot of the image quality sucked out of it already.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Mar 10, 2011 at 5:52:23 pm

I've had to do this in the past when no other formats were available. Try FFMPEG available for Mac and Windows or MPEG Streamclip.

There are several freeware tools available to extract VOB's from non-copy protected DVD's.

FFMPEG Windows: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffmpeg

FFMPEG Mac: http://www.ffmpegx.com/

MPEG Streamclip: http://www.squared5.com/

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Mar 10, 2011 at 7:42:00 pm

VOBs are essentially multiplex MPEG files.

[Ewan Horlock] "I have tried to put it into Media Encoder and export as a Quicktime animation (which comes out with very large file size)..however I'm not sure if this is the best way."

I would have done the same.

[Ewan Horlock] "Also the DVD is NTSC 720x480 and I need to convert it to Pal 720x576"

Do this in AE. Lots of recipes here at the COW on standards conversion within AE.

Cheers
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Ewan Horlock
on Mar 10, 2011 at 8:44:04 pm

Thanks for the help

Unfortunately they do not have the original footage as the DVD was created a few years ago...otherwise that would have been ideal :)

I have got mpeg streamclip and have tried a few different formats however quicktime animation seems to be the best despite coming out a nearly 20GB ..any other good formats to try?

There are so many ways of conforming 29.97 fps to 25fps however I just don't know which one to use ... I like Andrew Kramers frame rate preset however it does not seem to work now as it's not 64bit.

any suggestions on the best way to convert from NTSC frame rate to Pal

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Mar 10, 2011 at 9:47:55 pm

[Ewan Horlock] "I have got mpeg streamclip and have tried a few different formats however quicktime animation seems to be the best despite coming out a nearly 20GB ..any other good formats to try?"

Storage is cheap. If you want good quality and robust compatibility, QT's Animation CODEC is good.

For frame rate conversions, there are two ways to go about it -
1) the original duration is inconsequential -

simply interpret the 29.97fps footage as 25fps and work with the footage as though it really is 25fps. your footage will, of course, now have a longer duration.

2) 1) the original duration is required-
apply the same procedure as step 1 above. Apply TimeWarp and set keyframes to ensure that the movie is set to the original duration. Ensure that Pixel Motion is set in TimeWarp as well as in the Timeline.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]