ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Change Layer Size without affecting It's Masks?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason McKee
Change Layer Size without affecting It's Masks?
on Mar 9, 2011 at 7:55:28 pm

Is there any way to change the size of a layer without affecting it's masks and their placement and possibly keyframes?

I use solids as Track mattes for a layer (most of the time) so i can apply tracking data to that solid but my problem is that sometimes I forget (until it's too late) to make the size of the solid large enough to compensate for the tracking data's move thus resulting in hard edges at the edge of the frame that my mask is revealing. is there any way to adjust this with maybe a setting of effect that extends the borders of a layer after the fact. in the past when this has happened i have just had to re-create the masks. most of the time it is too much trouble to try to match the scale and rotation after copying and pasting the old layers so i just end up starting from scratch.
this is a problem that I have been dealing with for a while and would love to find a solution. thanks in advance.
-jm

Return to posts index

Jason McKee
Re: Change Layer Size without affecting It's Masks?
on Mar 9, 2011 at 9:02:47 pm

Never mind my post. Not sure what was going on but I just copy and pasted the masks from the first layer that was too small and applied them to a new solid that was big enough and then linked the tracking data. i then made the solid a track matte for the original layer. i have no idea what I was doing before that made this not work. :)

Return to posts index

Cyrus Dowlatshahi
on Jan 20, 2014 at 4:32:58 pm

I wish I miraculously stumbled upon the solution. My copy/pasted masks are all distorted horizontally.

@cyrusdowlatshahi

Return to posts index

Jason McKee
on Jan 20, 2014 at 5:17:51 pm

Here's another option that could fix this problem. This can also be used to remedy many other problems. Hope this helps.
http://aescripts.com/copymask2layer/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]