ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Greenscreen: how to shoot for silhouettes holding objects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TL WestgateGreenscreen: how to shoot for silhouettes holding objects?
by on Mar 9, 2011 at 4:11:57 pm

I've done enough greenscreen work in AE to know that much. But I'm being tasked with creating a vignette of silhouetted actors (filled with a solid color) manipulating objects and interacting with things. Of course, everything will be the same fill color, so I need to plan ahead on how to get different things different colors.

For example, if I shoot someone talking on a cell phone, key out the greenscreen, and fill the actor with black - then you can't see the cell phone because it's black, too, and becomes a part of the actors movements. I need the cell phone to be yellow or some other color that will stand out.

Any ideas?

Right now I'm thinking I just have to wrap different objects in different colors and run different passes at keying out different colors winding up with different layers. One layer the actor filled with black, one layer the phone filled with yellow, etc.

Or is there some simpler way I'm not thinking of?

Any info appreciated.

-- TL

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Greenscreen: how to shoot for silhouettes holding objects?
by on Mar 9, 2011 at 4:26:37 pm

That sounds about right. You could make things simpler by taking a look at the actor's wardrobe.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: Greenscreen: how to shoot for silhouettes holding objects?
by on Mar 9, 2011 at 4:30:25 pm

Tricky, for sure. You could try wrapping the objects in a different colour and mess around with keys to try to get the results you're after, but I would think at the end of the day you're going to be looking at a fair bit of roto.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Greenscreen: how to shoot for silhouettes holding objects?
by on Mar 10, 2011 at 2:07:10 pm

take a look at the actor's clothes and use another color for the secondary mattes (I've had good results with green and blue) any other color can get mixed with skin tones.

You will have to paint the cellphone blue, just be very carefull with what kind of paint you get, any reflections will come as white and you'll have a lot of roto to adress that.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Greenscreen: how to shoot for silhouettes holding objects?
by on Mar 10, 2011 at 4:28:53 pm

Y'know, I think I'd try doing a two-color key: The background for the talent and the object are one chroma key color, and the objects are painted another chroma key color. Then you can key the same footage in two different layers, each with a different colored fill.

Depending on the lighting and type of camera being used, it could work out well.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]