ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

2D tracking

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Dunbar2D tracking
by on Mar 8, 2011 at 10:30:42 pm

I'm working on one of my first compositing projects where I'm adding some Green Screen footage to a background plate of a cityscape. When the photographer shot the Green Screen footage he panned the camera up and down a bit so one of the challenges is matching the position of the background plate with the camera movement.

I found the 2D tracker and successfully got it to track the motion of the Green Screen footage. The problem I have is that when I apply this to the background plate it moves the background way out of position and when I try to reposition it back to where it belongs it messes up the motion path from the tracking.

How can I re-position the background plate after applying the motion path from the tracking so the background is properly aligned?

Dennis Dunbar

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 2D tracking
by on Mar 8, 2011 at 11:30:07 pm

Add a 2D Null object to the comp. Re-track the shot, then apply the tracking to the null. Move the timeline cursor to the point in the comp where foreground & background are in their proper positions, and parent the background to the null.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: 2D tracking
by on Mar 9, 2011 at 12:29:53 am

And then kindly suggest to your DP never to move the camera when shooting greenscreen without tracking markers.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dennis DunbarRe: 2D tracking
by on Mar 9, 2011 at 12:37:40 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try and let you know how if that solves the problem.

This project is really a learning experience for both the photographer and I. They're portfolio/reel pieces so there's little pressure, but we do want to learn the best way to get the job done.

After spending 20 years retouching images for movie posters and ads making the move to learn After Effects has been an interesting experience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved