ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Clone Tool

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale PaquetteClone Tool
by on Mar 5, 2011 at 1:56:40 pm

I am trying to composite an FG image with a BG clip. The image is a small building which has been selected out of it's own BG (i.e., it has an alpha channel). I tried the clone tool in AE to copy parts of the BG over the edges of the FG to blend it in with no success until I rendered out the FG over its new BG as a single layer. Then I was able to do it. But, of course, I lost all my ability to go back later and change anything. There's probably a better way.

I also tried to do this in Ps CS5. On opening the BG clip in Ps and then bringing in the FG image, not only was I able to directly use the clone tool, I was easily able to use the eraser tool to remove parts of the FG along it's edges as an alternative edge blending technique. What's more, I was no longer restricted to the limited brush tips available in AE but could now use any of the hundreds of Ps brushes and even make new ones as desired.

I'm wondering if the community feels this kind of compositing really is best done in Ps or am I just missing the boat with AE? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Clone Tool
by on Mar 7, 2011 at 3:18:40 pm

I would build the set extension (or replacemnt in your case) in Photoshop then do any motion tracking in AE. So, basically, your workflow sounds reasonable.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]