ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Write On Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Becka RebertWrite On Effect
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 1:44:39 pm

I have a short documentary in which I display the signatures of people that I am talking about. Right now I have them wipe on from the left so that it looks almost like the signatures are being written. Overall it looks pretty good, but the wipe follows the general direction of the text and not every curve. I would like to make it look even more realistic with the Write on Effect; however, the signatures are either psd or JPEG files instead of text since I had to trace over the signatures in photoshop from old documents and then bring them into After Effects. Does anyone know if there is a way to use the Write on Effect with something other than text? or is there something else that would work? Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Write On Effect
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 3:55:16 pm

Write-on works with mask paths, and you can keyframe both the speed AND the thickness of brush. I've used it to animate a realistic signature. When you think about everything that goes into a signature -- dotted i's, crossed t's, pen lifts, etc. -- the job can get a little tricky. But you can do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joey ForemanRe: Write On Effect
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 3:56:49 pm

Maybe this tut would be helpful?

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Write On Effect
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 8:11:16 pm

This tutorial as well may help. It's a bit dated but the technique works. The Write-On effects allows you to animate brush size as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved