ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

5d mark ii issues / disappointment

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Smith5d mark ii issues / disappointment
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 1:04:18 pm

5d mark ii can only shoot up to 30 fps which means for serious slow mow i'm forced to use Kronos or Twixtor in post. Both create major problems even at 50% speed.

ANY MOTION IN FRONT OF THE LENS CREATES NASTY ARTIFACTS.
Is it possible it's my lens's fault? ( vintage manual hasse prime ).
is this a common issue??

Return to posts index

Jason BrownRe: 5d mark ii issues / disappointment
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 1:20:43 pm

haha...it's a still camera, what are you expecting? It's the first version of a technology that is in it's infancy. It's bound to have problems and issues and probably will for some time.

Return to posts index

Johnny SmithRe: 5d mark ii issues / disappointment
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 1:31:06 pm

well do you own one or you just saying?
i'd love to hear from someone who's familiar with this specific issue.
have to shoot a music vid with it next week.

Return to posts index

Cory PetkovsekRe: 5d mark ii issues / disappointment
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 2:10:47 pm

This is an AE forum. Your question will be better addressed in the Canon DSLR forum. http://forums.creativecow.net/canonmarkii

--
Cory Petkovsek
Corporate Video

Return to posts index

Conrad OlsonRe: 5d mark ii issues / disappointment
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 3:25:07 pm

Have you used these time remapping plug-ins before? They always produce artefacts. How do you know it's the camera's fault and not just you expecting too much from the retime?

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2011 at 4:52:45 pm

i don't know that's why I'm asking.
I do own 35mm footage I could apply Kronos to and see if it makes a difference. But I did do my research and Kronos and Twixtor are supposed to be the best of the best. I'm guessing 5d mark ii is just not the camera for slow-mo.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 5d mark ii issues / disappointment
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 5:01:31 pm

That would be correct. They're making great strides in camera technology all the time, but as of right now, the best way to get silky-smooth and sharp-looking slo-mo still is to shoot with a camera built for the purpose.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Conrad OlsonRe: 5d mark ii issues / disappointment
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 5:11:38 pm

They are the best of the best but they are far from perfect. I used to think that I just wasn't using them right because I got all of these artefacts, then I got to Framestore's paint department and found out that we had to clean up loads of the artefacts before the shots could be used. I spent weeks working on a re-time clean up on Clash Of The Titans. We used Twixtor and Kronos and mixed the best bits of each together and then we still had to paint bits by hand.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

Jason BrownRe: 5d mark ii issues / disappointment
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 6:54:59 pm

Well, before you shoot with a DSLR, you have to resign to the fact that you are shooting to a highly compressed delivery codec. h264 isn't a professional capture codec. While certainly very high quality...it's a delivery method for mobile devices and Blu-Ray and some Broadcast.

Until the cameras allow uncompressed capture to a device like Kona's KiPro, or natively capture to an editable codec...they will continue to frustrate people from a workflow perspective.

-Jason

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2011 at 8:01:20 pm

i'm afraid you're right Jason. I've heard rumors that there's a way to mod the mark ii to bypass the native codec. i'll look into that, but it seems that renting something like the red is still the way to go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]