ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effect footage fps problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher AshbaughAfter Effect footage fps problem
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 1:05:19 am

So im working with a tiff sequence in AE and when i bring in the tiff sequence it says its 30fps. Since I cant find any import options im assuming it auto reads this or just imports all sequences as 30fps.

So iv been working this project over only to find out half way through that it was taped at 23.98fps. And that they need it back at 23.98fps.

So my question is, can I just go into the project settings and change it to 23.98 and make sure the render settings render out at that as well, or am I missing an import option and have to start this whole thing from scratch because I didnt ask/they didnt let me know the frame rate?

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: After Effect footage fps problem
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 1:17:09 am

Change the settings of the imported footage first, by right-clicking the sequence in the Project panel and choosing Interpret Footage > Main.

In the dialog box you can set the desired frame rate.

Then change the Comp settings to match your desired output.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effect footage fps problem
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 1:35:51 am

Brian explained how to use Interpret Footage to change the frame rate of an image sequence you've already imported.

As you noted, After Effects defaults to interpreting image sequences at 30 fps on import. If you'd like to change that default for future image sequences, you can change that value in Preferences > Import > Sequence Footage.

One other note: some other applications list the frame rate in question as 23.98, but that's only an approximation. The true frame rate is 23.976, and the difference is really very important! Make sure you are working at 23.976 to avoid bizarre results later in your pipeline.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved