ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Motion tracking won't analyze at all

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shannon McCalleyMotion tracking won't analyze at all
by on Mar 3, 2011 at 9:54:06 pm

Hey, I'm setting up a motion track, just like normal, but when I click Analyze nothing happens. It's an HD shot and I'm wondering if it's too big to process? No errors or anything, it just sits there. Clicking 'analyze one frame ahead' doesn't do anything either.

Return to posts index

Jason MettlerRe: Motion tracking won't analyze at all
by on Mar 3, 2011 at 10:32:12 pm

Are you in Comp view or Layer view? Try double clicking on the layer in the timeline. If that's not your problem, do you have the right source layer selected in the tracker?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Motion tracking won't analyze at all
by on Mar 3, 2011 at 10:35:27 pm

It would also be helpful for a diagnosis to know the version of AE you have, and the codec of the footage you're trying to track.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shannon McCalleyRe: Motion tracking won't analyze at all
by on Mar 3, 2011 at 10:49:40 pm

I'm looking at the layer, not the comp, and the source is correct. I've got the track points all lined up, too.

This is in AE CS3 and the codec of my clip is H264~

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Motion tracking won't analyze at all
by on Mar 3, 2011 at 11:35:07 pm

[Shannon McCalley] "This is in AE CS3 and the codec of my clip is H264~"

AHA! You've got footage problems, sad to say. And they most definitely will adversely impact motion tracking. A

E 10 solved this particular problem, but you're running AE 8, so the following still applies:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shannon McCalleyRe: Motion tracking won't analyze at all
by on Mar 3, 2011 at 11:38:46 pm

Excellent! Thank you very much. I shall do just that.

Return to posts index

Arturo SinclairRe: Motion tracking won't analyze at all
by on Sep 21, 2011 at 3:43:42 am

I have the same problem. But I am using a couple of jpg sequences that won't track even though they have very good tracking features. I've also rendered them as movies with PNG compression as suggested...nothing. I am using AE CS5. Other scenes track perfectly well (movies) Strangely enough it is tutorial footage from the book AE CS5 Visual Effects and Compositing Studio Techniques by Mark Christiansen, so the footage should be correct, right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]