ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render half resolution keeping the media quality

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peeter Tamia
Render half resolution keeping the media quality
on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:41:11 pm

Hello,

At times I like to render a video at half resolution (for quick rendering purposes) but I would like to keep the images that I use in the project at a high resolution because they are small images that I scale up anyway in the project. I don't want the images to lose even more quality when rendering the video at a half resolution. Because the images have lost some quality already when I scaled them up, I don't want them to degrade any more but I do like to render out the video at half resolution, but I don't want to take away every second pixel from the images that I have imported in the project.

I have also tried to post this topic on videocopilot forums but somewhy it is deleted without any particular reason every time I post it, leaving me clueless.

I hope anyone can give me some hints here.

Regards,
Peeter

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Render half resolution keeping the media quality
on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:46:43 pm

[Peeter Tamia] "At times I like to render a video at half resolution (for quick rendering purposes) but I would like to keep the images that I use in the project at a high resolution because they are small images that I scale up anyway in the project."

You can't have it both ways -- rendering at half-resolution only considers half of the pixels.

If you want to speed up renders for previews like this, you could render at full quality (which will preserve your images), but use low-res proxies [link] of some of your more complicated or render-heavy pre-comps.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Mar 2, 2011 at 8:14:17 pm

You could try creating a new comp in After Effects at half the size of your 'main' comp. (Eg. if your main comp is 1920x1080, make your new comp 960x540). Drop your 'main' comp into it and scale it to 50%, and switch on 'continuously rasterize' (the little sunshine icon) for the layer in the timeline. Then render this at full resolution (960x540) and you'll have yourself a half-res QuickTime movie (or whatever format you choose) with the images as good as they can be.

Probably. Without seeing the project, I can only really guess, but this is how I'd do it.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Mar 3, 2011 at 2:10:09 pm

You don't have to collapse transformations when scalling down a composition. And that wouldn't speed things up... the render time would be the same as rendering in full res.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Mar 3, 2011 at 2:15:21 pm

Maybe you can set everything but the images to Draft, and render full size or half size(full scalled down). I'm just not sure if the draft quality will come close to half, or w/e it's based on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]