ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

auto orientate arrow problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lansdellauto orientate arrow problem
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 4:41:19 pm

I've also posted this in the previous question I put up, as it's related, but have put it in a new thread too as I was talking to myself there! Hope that's okay...

In case some one reads this thread where I've asked a question and then answered it myself (replying to yourself on an internet thread is the first sign of madness these days, yeah?), I have another related question...

I have little arrows that auto orientate to the path of the line - nice little built in feature that, had images of keyframing the turns in running through my mind - but the point where the path starts moving and finishes causes the arrow to point 90 away from itself (into the third dimension), and rotate slightly across the flat (second dimension).

I've tried keying out the 90 twist into the third dimension, but I get a flicker when it's rendered.

I've uploaded it to demonstrate what I mean, the problem is most clearly seen at the beginning of the video. The map is rough, don't judge its looks to harshly, please! Although any constructive criticism is always appreciated!

auto orientate arrow problem example

Many thanks,

Michael Lansdell

Online/Offline Editor

My system:

2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XT
OS X 10.4.11
Final Cut Pro 6.0.4
After Effects CS4
Blackmagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme (6.6.2)

Take a gander at my personal blog:

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: auto orientate arrow problem
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:00:22 pm

Why do you animate the path and arrow in 3d- pre-compose the map layer, animate the path with arrow in 2d and then add all other elements in 3d space and camera move... no more 3d problems this way.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Michael LansdellRe: auto orientate arrow problem
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:26:55 pm

I have no idea why I haven't done it that way... I've been having a slow day... :os

Will try it when I'm back in work tomorrow, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved