ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

First-person walking effect in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew KunkleFirst-person walking effect in AE
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 8:58:28 pm

Alright, so I'm a post-production student right now, so I'm reasonably new to After Effects, and I was hoping I could get some input on a project I'm working on right now. The effect I'm looking to achieve is a first-person camera shot of a person walking through a hallway. I'm looking for a good way to make the walking look natural without making it too jarring. Would the best method simply be to keyframe individual camera positions for each step, or is there some easier/more effective way to create this?

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: First-person walking effect in AE
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 10:47:22 pm

Best way to figure this out, especially since you are learning is to strap a phone or a small camera to your head and shoot some video walking through a hallway. This will give you a good starting point- you could try to use expressions to drive the camera in AE, but the moves of a persons head while walking are quite complex, and an in depth study of real footage is invaluable.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: First-person walking effect in AE
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 9:43:32 pm

Gave it a bit more thought and I think you may be even able to capture camera motion data from a shot like the one I described in my previous post. Use Boujou or Camera tracker, or SynthEyes to track the 3d movement of the camera, export to AE and set your shot in there using that motion data.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Andrew KunkleRe: First-person walking effect in AE
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 9:46:00 pm

Thanks a lot man. I'll give that a try.

Return to posts index

Craig WallRe: First-person walking effect in AE
by on Mar 3, 2011 at 3:57:27 am

Just so you know, Andrew...What you are trying to do is not the easiest thing for a beginner!

In a program like c4d there are camera rig scripts that automate exactly what you are trying to do. I don't know of any automated solution in After Effects.

Life is full of funny particles.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]