ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE CS5 sluggish on MacPro, CS4/3 were fine

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret WilliamsAE CS5 sluggish on MacPro, CS4/3 were fine
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 8:14:39 pm

So I'm updating a project I've worked on off and on since CS3. It keeps coming back which is good. But I just installed CS5 recently and it just doesn't feel right. Rendering and scrubbing feel ok, but switching between layers or tabs or panels seem to have a couple second delay. For example, I click on a layer and it takes a second or two to highlight. You end up doing a lot of accidental double clicking because the whole interface just seems sluggish. Changing tools, clicking on properties, clicking in project window, everything. Feels like a sluggish delay. Click... wait. Click....wait. I'm on an old 2007 mac pro with 7 gigs. 4 of it dedicated to AE. But I've played with those settings too. Turned off anything OpenGL as I always do. Tried with mutiprocessing on and off with different settings. But even when I didn't have enough memory dedicated to AE in the past, it never got sluggish. Your mouse clicks are always prioritized in AE. It's not like FCP where you have to wait for it to stop doing something. AE has always been snappy, even when crunching a frame in the comp. Given, this is a pretty intense 3D comp, with lots of fake 3D objects. But CS3 and 4 never really had a problem. Any ideas? It's the latest version too - 10.0.1. I have matrox mini installed, but turned that monitoring off.

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: AE CS5 sluggish on MacPro, CS4/3 were fine
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 8:41:20 pm

What version of Mac OS are you running?
CS5 runs light years better than CS4 on every mac I have tried it on.
I used to have no end of trouble with sluggishness, crashes and dropped ram previews in CS4.
I've only used it on Leopard and Snow Leopard however.
If your 2007 mac is still running tiger, that could be the problem.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: AE CS5 sluggish on MacPro, CS4/3 were fine
by on Mar 2, 2011 at 3:18:41 pm

Snow Leopard. Latest os, latest CS5, Latest QT, latest FCS. Latest Matrox MXO2 mini drivers.

Maybe it doesn't like something from this older upgraded project. My matrox mini refuses to video preview as well. Works fine with Premiere and FCP. But I turn off video preview when I'm working on complex stuff anyway since it generally slows things down.

I know I need a new system, or to rebuild this one from scratch just to get rid of all the crud that gathers. But I'd like to wait and see what the next MacPro is with thunderbolt and everything.

Return to posts index

Bret WilliamsRe: AE CS5 sluggish on MacPro, CS4/3 were fine
by on Mar 3, 2011 at 12:10:41 am

I think the culprit is matrox mxo2 mini. If the computer sleeps it loses it's connection to AE - but not FCP oddly. Once it's lost that connection it makes AE sluggish. Even if I turn off video preview. The fix is to reboot the computer. Perhaps I've recently upgraded the matrox drivers. Matrox quality control is kinda sucky. I'm sure they'll have An update later than sooner.

Return to posts index

Matthew LaurenceRe: AE CS5 sluggish on MacPro, CS4/3 were fine
by on Mar 15, 2011 at 4:50:14 pm

Hmmm... I've been experiencing the same thing, but on a 2010 Mac Pro dual 6-core, 16gb RAM, OS 10.6.6, ATI Radeon HD 5870 (stock), all updates installed. I've tried turning off multiprocessing, turning off and removing the OpenGL plug in, rebooting in safe mode and then back into normal mode, trashing the prefs (a while ago). I haven't taken the time to reinstall either the OS or the CS5 package, but I've had the same problems - CS5 is completely unusable.

I've gone back to CS4, and while I have had problems with it crashing repeatedly on the simplest of actions (scrubbing the timeline, moving footage, renaming files, etc), turning off multiprocessing has seemed to help, and I'm going to try a different intermediate codec.

But I have yet to hear any satisfactory answers to why so many people seem to have so many problems with CS5. My Photoshop CS5 works fine, unlike many other reporters, but AE is completely useless. Which is a real drag, because some of the new features would make my life a lot easier.

ANY advice would be most appreciated - thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved