ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Retaining color information - AE vs Apple Color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Braden WheelerRetaining color information - AE vs Apple Color
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 4:04:05 pm

Hey guys, maybe you can help me with this. I'm working on a project that is now in post and has reached the color correction stage. The footage is of a guy at a counter, who is wearing a white shirt, and unfortunately it is a bit blown out. I have noticed, while passing the clips around, that color does a significantly better job in pulling information out of the highlites... detail that I can't seem to reveal in any way using AE. What is color doing differently? can modify my settings in AE to somehow reach the same conclusion? Tech info about the shot/project info is below:

Footage: 1080p XDCAM 422 @ 140MBPS (shot on AF100 with Nanoflash)

AE project: Depth is at 32 bpc, working space None (I've tried lots of different permutations in this dept, to no avail). Clip is imported with "Preserve RGB."
Is there anything I'm missing?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Retaining color information - AE vs Apple Color
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 4:06:16 pm

[Braden Wheeler] "Is there anything I'm missing?"

Since you only say you're using AE, I have to ask: have you been using Color Finesse, which has come bundled with AE since Version 8?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Braden WheelerRe: Retaining color information - AE vs Apple Color
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 4:08:42 pm

I've been trying that a little, on it now, doesn't seem to be any better...

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2011 at 4:20:09 pm

I should also have mentioned that it's not the easiest app in the world to use intuitively. Look up Andrew Devis' tutorials on Primary and Secondary Color Correction in AE for a more detailed description.

And make sure the footage you're working with actually has the same bit depth as that used in Color. And it wouldn't hurt to double-check that your AE project is set up for 16 or 32 bits, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2011 at 4:33:37 pm

Solved it, converted to prores 422HQ... for some reason AE didn't interpret the XDCAM footage the same as Color.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2011 at 7:52:42 pm

Glad it was an easy fix. Y'know, I don't really trust XDCam footage any farther than I can throw the photographers using them. As a matter of good AE & FCP practice, I'd convert the footage to ProRes 422 while ingesting... if I had an XDCam.

Although it doesn't hurt anything, I'm 99.9% positive that you don't have to convert to ProRes HQ. The only reason to do it is when you're using AE on a machine that doesn't have FCP 6+ installed. That's when you need HQ.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Mar 1, 2011 at 9:35:49 pm

Yeah, I'm not a fan either. Unfortunately, the Nanoflash (which records XDcam) was the only portable option for external recording that we could find. Now, the AJA Ki Pro Mini is coming out (which records to the prores family). I'll likely push for the switch. Knowing that we could edit natively in the XDcam, I wanted to try it. Now I know that for anything other than cutting I should transcode. If anyone has a solid explanation as to why AE would "read" the XDcam footage differently than Color, I'd love to be enlightened.
Thanks for the conversation,
Braden

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Retaining color information - AE vs Apple Color
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 9:52:14 pm

[Braden Wheeler] " anyone has a solid explanation as to why AE would "read" the XDcam footage differently than Color, I'd love to be enlightened."

Without having actually tried this myself to verify my suspicion, I'd guess that AE is improperly clipping the whites during its YUV > RGB conversion, and Color is not. If it works properly with ProRes but not with XDCAM, I'd consider it a bug, and report it here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

The engineers do read these, and your feedback could be very valuable.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]