ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trouble exporting large image sequence

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas MontgomeryTrouble exporting large image sequence
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 3:12:25 am

Having some trouble exporting a TIFF sequence from AE CS3. Tried using both export and the render queue, but it won't continue past a certain frame. Get the following message:

"After Effects error: Bad parameter (516)
(25::56)"

Purged the image and video cache, but no effect.

Dual-quad core Mac, 2x2.8 GHz, 6GB RAM (had 4GB kick the bucket very recently)

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Nicholas MontgomeryRe: Trouble exporting large image sequence
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 4:07:24 am

I just tried switching the comp resolution from Full to Half and it seems to be exporting fine now.
Does this mean that I just don't have enough RAM?
But even when it would stop, trying to pick it up just from the point the error occurred at didn't work. If the prior frames were already exported, then they shouldn't be occupying the image cache anymore, should they?

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

Matthew WoodsRe: Trouble exporting large image sequence
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:43:50 pm

If you are running into memory issues when rendering a high res movie, you could try telling AE to purge every few frames during Make Movie. This helpful option is hidden in AE's "Secrect" preferences menu. To access this, hold down the shift key while you open the preferences window. You should then see an option for the "Secret" preferences on the left. Tell it to purge every few frames or so. Be careful with the other settings in this menu as some are dangerous. This will take longer to render, because its purging from memory regularly, but can get you over a bottleneck heavy frame in a high-res comp.

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:
http://www.paperdragongames.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Trouble exporting large image sequence
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 3:30:01 pm

Sorry to hear about your RAM, but it does lead to an obvious question: you did turn off multiprocessing after that sad event, correct?

Which leads to another question: you're not using Open GL to accelerate rendering, correct?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Mar 3, 2011 at 8:37:05 am

Yep, turned off multiprocessing and tried again...nothing. And I've never had OpenGL enabled, advice taken from a good friend of mine who told me to just disable it and never look back to save myself a series of headaches.

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 4, 2011 at 4:11:01 am

Now, I've only been told recently that I should be exporting image sequences instead of using the render queue or exporting to movie straight out of AE, but I haven't been having much luck with it.

AE makes the image sequence fine enough, but Compressor can't seem to use the animation or PNG codec to make a lossless video file to pass back to the client, which they then import into their NLE of choice. Made a ProRes .mov just fine, and that may have to do, but am I missing something?

Cinematographer / Editor
Synn Studios Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]