ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What is the Difference Between .mpkg and VISE installers?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddy Rose
What is the Difference Between .mpkg and VISE installers?
on Feb 28, 2011 at 10:58:42 pm

What is the Difference Between .mpkg and VISE installers? I'm wondering because I have two different versions of Trapcode Particular,, one with a .mpkg installer and the other with a VISE installer. I think they are both the same version, so I'm wondering why it would come in different formats...Is one more recent than the other?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: What is the Difference Between .mpkg and VISE installers?
on Mar 1, 2011 at 3:26:51 pm

Hmmmm.... here's a real shot in the dark -- is there any reason you would have downloaded installers for both Mac and Win?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: What is the Difference Between .mpkg and VISE installers?
on Mar 1, 2011 at 4:31:52 pm

[Eddy Rose] "I'm wondering because I have two different versions of Trapcode Particular,, one with a .mpkg installer and the other with a VISE installer. I think they are both the same version, so I'm wondering why it would come in different formats...Is one more recent than the other?"

Technically, VISE installers are created with a third-party development utility, and .mpkg installers are created with Apple's tools.

Red Giant used to use VISE installers, but it seems they have recently switched over to .mpkg on OS X. It's possible that you'll have two different installers for the same plugin if you've downloaded more than one release of Particular (the current 64-bit CS5 plugin also includes the previous, 32-bit release of the plugins for pre-CS5 installations).

If you have any doubt about which version you're about to install, I'd recommend heading over to Red Giant's website and downloading the version you need. They have both current and legacy releases available.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]